Author Topic: need help? power window relay...  (Read 9811 times)

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
need help? power window relay...
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
I will begin by saying I am an electrical retard. My driver window down stopped working. Passenger up and down barely work. I tried an additional ground to the chassis but this had no effect. I tested the driver motor by touching it directly to my battery with an alligator clip and it works great. I pulled the switch and one of the wires had come unattached.
So I followed some info on the existing threads and found schemetacs for a power window relay. I ordered the suggested relays and wire harness. Should be here anyday now.  Here are my first questions
1. Do I reuse the existing wire or should I run all new wire. If I need to run new wire do I splice that into the harness that connects to the motor itself. Or do I need to get new adapters...if I am to by new adapters what are they called? And where should I get them?
2. Where is my power source? Do I need to run anything from my battery or jet cut into the existing wiring cluster behind the window switch?
Much thanks guys
"a wise man once said...Drive A TRANS AM"

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: need help? power window relay...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »
Do you have the schematic from an old thread here? .....it pretty much lays the whole thing out like a blueprint (pretty easy to follow)
(I'm not a fan of electrical gremlins either but it's an easy set-up to follow)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
I do have the schematic from here. Hope that individual ates how horrible I am regarding electrical. Oh yea. Forgot to ask about grounds? How should I attach them to the motor? Then feed it through the door hinge thingy? And attach it anywhere on the chassis?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:11:07 PM »
I grounded (using a ring terminal) at the motor (using one of the mount bolts), through the harness sleeve in the door jam, and grounded other end inside cabin up under dash.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »
Should I use the existing wiring along with the new relays or run all new wiring as well?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:13:55 AM »
Use the existing wiring/harness but you will also need to add some new wiring as well when you add in the relays
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
so I fed a ground through the door jam sleeve, where do I ground it? on the motor itself (inside the door-where i can't get my hands around) or through any of the four regulator mounts where they have been drilled?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
Like I mentioned above, I grounded a wire at the motor (I had previously drilled out the rivets holding the motors to the window assembly and re-attached the motors with nuts/bolts)...ground other end of wire to metal cowl inside car under dash
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
this sucks.
drilling out rivets now?
I connect the relays to the relay socket then to the switch correct?
the relay socket has the following colors
1. blue
2. white
3. red
4. yellow
5. black
how do these match up to my existing blue and brown wiring. Does it matter?
How do I connect to the switch itself that sits in the console switch?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »
It's not required that you drill out the motor rivets...that is just how I chose to do it (to ground directly at the motor)...you could attach your ground to anywhere on the metal door frame.

Here's is the relay set-up I made (mounted to a bracket for installation under the console) ....

and the schematic (by LEE01, from this site) that I followed for wiring the entire assembly (pretty straight forward as far as wiring the connections)

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
Looks good. But now im more confused. I order the 4 relays but only 1interlocking socket. Do I need a socket for each relay? Also. My existing wire harness that connects to the switch is ruined. Do I need a new one or can I override it? So for the ground anywhere on the door to the chaschassis will work to ground the power window motor

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
I order the 4 relays but only 1interlocking socket. Do I need a socket for each relay?

You could use a pigtail socket on each relay as I did...or make your own with wire and spade terminals.

. My existing wire harness that connects to the switch is ruined.

In what way is it ruined?

So for the ground anywhere on the door to the chaschassis will work to ground the power window motor

Basically yes...the motor is grounded by factory design this way...motor to door, hinge to door, hinge to body. So you can ground on the door frame...to inside of car...and to car, inside, under dash.

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »
I am going to order three more pigtail sockets.  I am going to mount my 4 relays to a peice of angle metal as you did.  Do I need to ground (I believe they will all be white wires, coming from the pigtail, to the mount they will be attached to, then from the mount to the chasis?

My exisitng wire harness that connects to the switch itself has had the driver side down connection pulled out, along with the pink connection.  i was told at the local automotive places that this was unrepairable???

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
did you just use butt-connectors to connect the pigtail to the existing harness that ataches to the switch?  Also, is there any use for the pink wire from the pigtail?

Offline JT_Y88

• Y88
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »
you'll be proud.
I'm stepping up my electrical game.  i am sodering the existing harness connection to the swithc this evening.  I should be good, once I get the additional relay switch pigtails.  I'll let you know.  Thanks for the inout I appreciate it.