Author Topic: Pics & Information Request for California Olds 403  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Wook

Pics & Information Request for California Olds 403
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:56 AM »
Guys & Gals,

I am having a little trouble assembling a complete 403 engine.  I have to get this thing smogged when I get it running.  My car has a/c and I am wondering what the smog pump and pulley arrangement looks like on this engine.  I've looked for pics for a few hours and given up.  The service manual has a vacuum diagram for the system but nothing showing if there are any A.I.R. tubes, the hose routing for those, etc. 

I have 2 fairly complete engines but I suspect neither was actually smog legal.  I also have sets of pulleys for a 4 belt on the crank and a 3 belt on the crank.  Any idea which is correct?  Hopefully I can peice a functional setup together without buying some more stuff.  Thanks in advance for any pictures or help you can give me. 

Offline dfred

Re: Pics & Information Request for California Olds 403
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »
maybe this will help, its about all I could find, its in the parts manual

Offline Wook

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »
Thanks, that helps alot!  It looks like I will need the tubes that go into the exhaust manifolds and shows the bracket setup.  Is there another page with the parts breakdown showing part names for the numbers?  That would help me out when I'm looking for this stuff.

Offline dfred

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
yep, that would have helped, its the next page

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:37:22 AM »
You may be able to find all that stuff at GM sports salvage in San Jose.  They handle all GM sports type cars....corvette, camaro, firebird, gto etc.  They usually have five or six firebirds in the lot.  And, the 403 is about all they get for 77-79.  Look them up on the internet.

Offline Wook

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:31:39 AM »
Thanks guys, you've got me going in the right direction.