Author Topic: 81 T/A with Rusted Lower Rear Quarters  (Read 1520 times)

Offline 07GMC53

81 T/A with Rusted Lower Rear Quarters
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
I found an 81 T/A with rusted lower quarters.  It's the only one in my area, and it's a really good price.  I'm assuming the trunk and floor pans are trashed as well.  Should I be too concerned about the rear panel rust?  I know they sell the patch panels to repair it, and I may have someone that can help me do it.  Other than there, where else should I really check for rust on these cars?  Thanks, Zak.
1980 T-top WS6 Trans Am Project

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 81 T/A with Rusted Lower Rear Quarters
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:56:37 AM »
They sell 'some' patch panels but many don't exist including a lot of the common trunk and rear tail. They are typically fender patches and floor panels, but still not all of those either. You will either have to patch it by sheet metal made to size or cut from a donor vehicle. So I guess it depends on where and how bad as to the course of action.

Offline SA74SD

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
Pete at Fbodywarehouse put up a video showing where to look for common rust problems in T/A's. Like the tail panel, base of windshield, etc. Check it out.

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
x2 on Pete's videos in general.  Very informative and if you have ever talked to him, one of the nicest and knowledgeable. 
My car was rotted like the 81 you are looking at.  After getting under the car and removing the rear end, all lines, suspension, fuel tank, rear bumper etc I found a lot of rot.  I ended up replacing the rear quarter extensions (behind the rear wheel), the trunk drop offs(these are the overhangs on each side of the inside of the trunk and forms a pocket with the quarter extensions that trapped moisture dirt shot gun shells, whatever LOL!), rear portions of each frame rail, inner tail panel and tail panel.   I have posted many pictures of the build- Check out my resto page here, it outlines it pretty well.  http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=34786.0     It was a lot of work, but is something one can accomplish in a garage with pneumatic and electric  tools, a good welder, jack stands and ramps. 

The cowel, the toe pans, radiator support, trunk pan, under the molding around the windshield and rear window are all other places to look for rot.  Hope this helps