Author Topic: wiring problem along door sill  (Read 6850 times)

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Re: wiring problem along door sill
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »
Justin,
A lot has been posted back and forth. So we all know exactly what state the car is in, post up what all is currently disconnected, the name of the fuse on the fuse block that is blowing and the amperage of that just to make sure you are using the correct amperage fuse.

The lighter should have nothing to do with this circuit unless the car has been seriously rewired. The cigarette lighter should be fed by an orange wire that is hot all of the time.
Randy

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 01:50:03 PM »
Everything that everyone has listed that has to do with the TAILIGHT 20AMP fuse is disconnected except the switch because i need it on to test the fuse. it is still blowing. Everything is diconnectd from firwall and the rear harness is also diconnected.the gauge cluster is disconnected and there and not any a/c or radio components hooked up.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 04:15:34 PM »
So when exactly is the fuse blowing?

No clicks - the switch is entirely off
1 click - turns on gauge pods, shifter indicator (floor shift), heater controls, marker lights
2 clicks - turns on everything 1 click PLUS headlights

And for giggles...is the switch turned all the way one way or the other (turning on the dome light and/or curtesy lights at your feet)?

AC and Radio are separate fuses so you can ignore those for the time being.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline 78ta

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 01:12:35 AM »
Ok.
We think everything in the instrument cluster is disconnected, the front body harness is disconnected and the rear body harness is disconnected so those should be out of the picture. You do have this rear body harness disconnected, right?

You mentioned that you have to have the head light switch plugged in in order to make it blow the fuse. I assume from that statement that you have tried putting a new fuse in with the head light switch unplugged and it didn't blow. Right?

You said earlier "On the back of the headlight switch there are three prongs in a line but on the actual harness itself there are only two. is this that way its supposed to be?" That has me puzzled because, according to the wiring schematic in the 78 factory chassis manual, there are 6 wires connected to the head light switch. There does appear to be three pins in a line but only two of them have wires going to them. The other 4 pins are situated differently.

1. There's a red wire which actually has to travel from the 20 amp "TAIL" fuse block out into the engine compartment, go through a fusable link and then come back inside the body and finally connect to the headlight switch. I know the bulkhead connector has two separate halves. I assume you still have the correct one plugged in or you wouldn't be getting any voltage on the red wire at the switch. This makes sense because the other half of the bulkhead connector houses the wires that go to the parking/marker lights. That has to be the one you have disconnected.

2. Also attached to the switch is a green wire that comes from the "LPS" fuse in the fuse block on the very bottom near the center. That fuse isn't blowing so that probably isn't the problem.

3. There's a brown wire that comes a spot in the fuse block only labeled "41". That fuse isn't blowing so that one probably isn't the problem.

4. There are two brown wires that are tied together at the head light switch connector. One goes to the digital clock. The other brown wire goes to the bulkhead plug where it is tied with yet another brown wire. One goes through the bulkhead connector and connects to the front parking and marker lights and the other brown wire go to the rear and connects to the rear license, tail and marker lights. The problem could be in one of these wires. I am not sure of that digital clock info in the book. It prbably refers to the digital clock that was in the digital stereo. You don't have the digital stereo do you? If not, those wires are probably not connected to anything which could mean this wire could be the problem. The standard clock is fed from the "CLK LTR CTSY" fuse.

5. There's a light blue wire that goes to the dimmer switch. Kinda doubt this would be the problem. The schematic doesn't show the internal connections of the head light switch but I don't think the dimmer gets connected until the 2nd click when the head lights come on. 

6. That leaves us with the white wire which connects to the door jamb switches to provide a ground path when the doors are opened or the head light knob is turned fully counter clockwise. You said this is all working correctly so that probably isn't the problem.

I would try disconnecting all but the red wire from the head light switch and put a fuse in and pull the knob. If it doesn't blow, reinstall one wire at a time until it blows. Then, hopefully, you'll be down to one wire to trace. You can use a small flat head screw driver to get the pins out of the plug. Make sure to write down where each pin goes.
Hey, before you try this, unplug the turn signal connector and try it then. It's the long skinny plug that mounts to the column itself. Should be 11 pins in a single row. I don't think you've tried that yet and it would be easy.

It could be that the problem is actually behind the fuse block. Someone in the past may have taken it out for whatever reason and pinched a wire when they put it back in. You might pull it off and have a look at the wires where they go into the block.
I know this sounds like a huge pain. It would be much easier with a meter.
Good luck,
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:24:53 AM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
There are two brown wires that are tied together at the head light switch connector. One goes to the digital clock. The other brown wire goes to the bulkhead plug where it is tied with yet another brown wire. One goes through the bulkhead connector and connects to the front parking and marker lights and the other brown wire go to the rear and connects to the rear license, tail and marker lights. The problem could be in one of these wires. I am not sure of that digital clock info in the book. It prbably refers to the digital clock that was in the digital stereo. You don't have the digital stereo do you? If not, those wires are probably not connected to anything which could mean this wire could be the problem. The standard clock is fed from the "CLK LTR CTSY" fuse.

78TA YOU ARE THE MAN. I followed the brown wires and saw they split. The one goes back toward the fuse box and the other wraps around the colum then into a plug and turns into two black wires. I followed these and the one goes to fues box(or behind it anyways) and the other went behind the drivers side kick panel and then was grounded. I could tell someone did this them selves so I disconnected that and put a fuse in and pulled the switch and now everything works. I am so happy. Now my car goes to the shop to get inspected tomorrow.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 78ta

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »
Sweet action !

Glad to be able to help.

Good luck with the inspection,
Randy

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »
thanks for putting up with all my questions and posts
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline 78ta

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 01:06:09 AM »
Don't mention it. That's why we're all here.
Randy