Author Topic: TA 6.6 exhaust  (Read 3776 times)

Offline kitemare

TA 6.6 exhaust
« on: May 26, 2006, 10:08:41 AM »
I've just gotten my first TA. It's a red '77 with a stock exhaust set up. The muffler & tail pipes are the first thing that I'm going to fix & my question to you all is: Would it improve the performance of this motor at this time to change from the standard muffler set up to headers & a dual exhaust? Would you use an X-pipe or an H-pipe in this dual exhaust set up? I do not have to take this car thru emissions here in Seattle.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline IwantmyTAback

TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:57:25 AM »
Yes definetly go with true dual with headers,
Hitman said he gained 20 - 25 hp and almost a full second off 1/4 mile times :lol:
ud

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »
Yes, it greatly inproved my power and times. The X pipe is better in the lower ends and the H pipe is better in the higher end.  It is kind 6 and 1/2 dowzen of the other.  Either way, it will be an improvement.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ttops

TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
not only will it improve your hp, but your car will sound much better. i removed the stock system on my 1980 T\A last fall and put true duel without the cat and man it sounds good.
980 TRANS AM

Offline kitemare

TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:02:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to try headers with an x-pipe. I've been wanting one of these cars since I was 15 & it's sure fun to finally have one. It's definately a rare site to see a 70's TA here in Seattle.

KM

Offline hesster

TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »
Check out Pypes.com.  
I installed their 3" system with the X over and exhaust dumps.  I added electric solenoids on the exhaust dumps for wide open blasts - and now I never have sinus problems.

Offline kitemare

TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 10:55:10 PM »
Okay, so I replaced my exhaust with Ram Air Restorations 2 1/2" factory header manafolds, an x-pipe, & Trans Am Specialties mufflers. Man am I glad that I did that instead of a stock set up. The power boost is definately noticable & it really sounds great! What kind of heads would you put with this set up to get additional HP without creating a race car that won't run on pump gas?

KM

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 09:25:17 AM »
If you have the $$ the Edelbrock heads are tough to beat, everything I have read says that even with a bunch of work stock heads wont flow as well, plus with the aluminum it will be lighter and will be less prone to detonation since the aluminum will dissipate the heat better.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline Sopcich04

TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 03:30:50 PM »
this is to hessters comment, i have 2 friends with 2 different opions on dumpoffs. one says u HAVE to go electric and nothing else and the other says the cable is all u need
now i do agree that the cable would be better seeing that its conciderably less money than electic. is there a difference plus JEGS or summit doesnt sell a cable one that hooks up to a 3in pipe
also, how much louder does it make ur car, i have true dual with no cats 3in, can it still get louder to a point where a harley will be drownd out by me?

Offline kitemare

TA 6.6 exhaust
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 02:37:13 AM »
It looks like I put the cart before the horse here. After getting my exhaust done, I took it back to my mechanic to get some gaskets replaced so that it would stop dripping fluid all over the place & he popped the motor out to do the work & then called me this afternoon to show me how close to worn out the clutch was & how a portion of the cam was worn only allowing partial opperation of one of the cylinders. I guess now that the motor is out & I've got some major wear & tear issues I might as well get the whole thing re-done right. The good news is I'm going to have one brand new rip roarin' motor in my car that should last for years.

KM