Author Topic: Yet Another TATA  (Read 2365 times)

Offline darcurr

Yet Another TATA
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
I've noticed there are a few other TATA projects going on right now.  Well, like the subject says, here's another.  I just got it back from IN, and it definitely needs some TLC.  Fortunately the body is pretty much rust free, except under the battery, but even that isn't real bad.  Z-bart(sp?) undercoating and being stored in a garage for the last 20 years helped.  I'm still in the air exactly what I'm going to do.  I really would like to yank the 403 and drop in either a 455 or LS1, but part of me says that a bad idea due to the fact it's a TATA.  So for now I'm going to start with the no brainers.  First off, the brakes.  While they work, they're pretty sketchy.  While I'm there I'll go after the rear end.  I thinking a 3:73 gear well do well, and I'm taking the Z-bart off and painting the rear the dark grey like the top of the coupe.  Then the fuel tank.  After that I'll go after the interior.  I plan on posting pics of my progress.  What's the easiest way to do pics, photobucket?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Yet Another TATA
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »
What's the easiest way to do pics, photobucket?

You can either sign-up for a free membership at a photo hosting site like www.photobucket.com , load your pix there and then post the "IMG Code" of the pic directly into your post here
or
load your pictures on this site by following the "Gallery" link at the top of this page.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline darcurr

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »
So here it is in the garage finally

ta 001

ta 002

ta 003

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with the rear seat.  Guess it's a good thing I was going to replace the covers anyway. 

Project#1
new tank

Anyone know how come I have 3 lines going to the tank but only two out of the tank?

ta 004

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:06:03 AM »
Anyone know how come I have 3 lines going to the tank but only two out of the tank?

The lines you should have are fuel, return, and vapor.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline darcurr

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »

The lines you should have are fuel, return, and vapor.

That sounds right, and I guess I should have counted on it being wrong.  I'm on the prowl for yet another part....

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »
Nice project!!

I like the TATA
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline darcurr

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »
Nice project!!

I like the TATA

Thanks, I'm with you.  Just wish a 455 was factory, but I don't think I'll let that stop me ...... >:D

Offline darcurr

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »
Well it was looking like rain, so no painting the gas tank today.  Since everyone likes to beat on stuff, I figured I'd work on the battery tray.  Should have taken a pic with the tray still in, but here's what i found lying in wait.....

ta 006

Then I noticed....

ta 007

Good thing someone got that extra metal out of they way.  Besides, razor sharp edges make the car go faster.... ::)

Anyone have pics of what it's suppose to look like?  I'd like to fix it right.

Offline TheKid

• Sounds taller on the Radio.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 11:42:06 PM »
Welcome to the club! Nice starting point, looking forward to following this
JJ
"America is all about one thing..."

-----------------------------
1979 TATA full restoration in progress

Offline darcurr

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
Well it's been a while and I know some purists won't care for this, but I prefer a blacked out underside.  So here's the new tank....

ta

Now I just have to wait for the tank isolation pads to get here.  Guess I'll get the battery tray put in while I wait.

Offline TheKid

• Sounds taller on the Radio.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 10:07:15 PM »
That looks great, I like the blacked out tank!
JJ
"America is all about one thing..."

-----------------------------
1979 TATA full restoration in progress

Offline darcurr

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
Ok so I know this topic is old.  I can't help it.  I moved, new job, you get the idea.  I now live in a box on the 14th floor in downtown Atlanta.  I have given up the diy resto on the TATA.  Does anyone know of a reputable place in Atlanta that can fix my old girl right?