Author Topic: Why rotisserries and TAs were made for each other  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Canuck_TA

Why rotisserries and TAs were made for each other
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
Know how those adjusment towers get in the way when a car body is on a rotisserie.  Well with a T/A they were made for each other. :)

rotiss_front

Helps to get the body lines right...

rotiss_back

Gaps don't look too bad...

rotiss_side

And still have somewhere to hang my hat...

rotiss_hood

Now if I were to get back at it, it would look even better on wheels!

rotiss_car
1976 TA Work In Progress

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
Re: Why rotisserries and TAs were made for each other
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
Nice.
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:47:38 AM »
I gotta make me one of those.
Larry

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
I want one...I need a garage first!!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:04:40 PM »
so you have all the front panels on it without the frame in? i figured that was too much weight?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Canuck_TA

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »
No frame, you can see the frame on the floor in the last photo.  Fenders, rad support, nose piece and hood.  Works well, and I can still spin it about 30 degrees.
1976 TA Work In Progress

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Not to hi-jack your thread, but I've been wondering about rotisserries....

Pardon the dumb questions.... but....

Can roll the car all the way over... 90 degrees or what..?

I can see that it would make welding access easier... what are other major benefits?

How are you supporting the front?

Lastly, in terms of strength, are the supports similar to an engine stand or more heavy-duty?

Any info appreciated.

Good luck on the resto....

1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline Canuck_TA

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »
No problem... ask away, we are here to share

Like this?  Here is my gallery there are a few photos of the car on the rotisserrie.

DSC02268

With the fenders, hood, rad support and node piece I can rotate the car around 30 degrees either way.  With just the body on it, front end removed it can be turned 360 degrees.  Makes it great for welding, cleaning, bodywork (great for the bodylines), eventually for priming and painting too.  Believe it or not serves as a marriage saver too, when I'm done working on the car can move it over to one side of the garage as the rotisserrie has wheels, really easy to move.

Inserted 1-1/2 angle into the 2x2 supports that are bolted to the car where the front frame mounts to the body, then McGyver'd a mount system for the rad support.  From there once the rad support is mounted the rest just bolts together, much the same process aligning the fenders and hood as you would on the car itself.  Hard to explain but I can take photos and add them if you like.

The towers of the rotissierrie are actually built using two 1500 lb Samona engine stands, I did modify the stand, but using the Samona made it really simple (just the way they are built).  This was a design that I came up with taking a weekend all told to build.  I did not alter the assembly that the engine would bolt to, rather I added the "T" arms and built it so they are removable for storage, transport and now I have a rotisserrie and two engine stands that I will use as engine stands later in the project.  I did add a balancing system and bottle jacks to raise the car if needed (but I have never raised them).

It was an interesting project in itself and I don't think I would change any of the design, plenty strong and it is functional.  Cost me around $800 in steel and stands and a couple of days welding.  I can take and post or send you photos of all the pieces and how it fits together if you like.  lmk

1976 TA Work In Progress

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »
Thanks for the info... I picked on the photo link and looked at the pix you've posted and I see what's going on now...  nice setup....

I'm not gonna do a full resto in the immediate future, but I'm hoping to "one of these days"

Keep up the good work and keep posting.

Thanks!
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain