Author Topic: Window Sweeps?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline hardcoresteve

Window Sweeps?
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and I'm restoring a 1978 Trans Am my father handed down to me. He let it sit up for 20 years in his garage. Just replaced all 4 tires and the rims were still in perfect round. When he parked it he had filled it up with fuel, which has since turned to lacquer. I ordered a new fuel tank from A1 auto and it should be here on monday.

Now on to window sweeps, I need to buy new weather stripping and window sweeps. On FBWarehouse they have 3 different options. I can't find any size differences between the Flat Chrome Bead, Thin Chrome bead, and no Chrome...are they all different for aesthetic purposes? Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Window Sweeps?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:19:57 AM »
Sounds like a mixture of the inner and outer window sweeps. The inners involve the round or flat bead, which is Firebird or Camaro, they always had a bead on the inside. The outside depends on if the door had the large add-on trim or not as to if the window sweep got it or not. Same as inside, there was always a strip on the outside, it was either the large decor strip on door shell and plain rubber sweep, or plain door top/no decor strip and small bead on sweep, which could also be round or flat, for Firebird or Camaro style.

Having said that, your car currently has no bright decor strips around the rear of hood and door tops, indicating you'd want the outers with small bead. But based on your T-tops that have gutters, it came off a car that also had gutter molds over roof and since removed, and these often went with cars with the decor strips too. But not always.

If you do not intend on adding any of the 'chrome' strips to door tops then use this type of sweep outside:

http://fbodywarehouse.com/store/1970-1981-camaro-trans-am-door-window-sweeps-with-thin-chrome-bead-2-pc-set-outers.html?category_id=49

or complete set with small round bead on both:

http://fbodywarehouse.com/store/1970-1981-camaro-firebird-trans-am-4-pc-window-sweeps-glass-runs-thin-rounded-chrome-bead-weather-stripping.html?category_id=49

You can also add the plain type and use them on a car without the chrome strips, so will have no brightwork anywhere, but generally just look like you've ordered the wrong type. Worse still if you end up with 2 lots of bright trim strips!

Nice looking car and hopefully in safe hands now. Yell out if still confused or any other q's.

Offline hardcoresteve

Re: Window Sweeps?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 12:14:56 AM »
thank you , i went with the chrome in and out. Im waiting to install them when i start on the interior.  Im up to my ears in mechanical stuff right now. At least it feels like it.