Author Topic: Suggestions for carb  (Read 2880 times)

Offline 2pfl

Suggestions for carb
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:13:13 AM »
Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section but I’m just looking to see what type of carb would work best for my 75 TA. Has a 72 455 Pontiac HO engine. Want to get some feedback from some more experienced carb guys because I’m pretty inexperienced with them and if I’m going to buy new I want to get the best possible one. The last two Edelbrock carbs I have had have not been working out very well. I did get kinda hosed on the one I have now as it’s not even really supposed to be on a trans am. Any info/suggestions would help a lot thank you

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Suggestions for carb
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 01:39:57 AM »
Look up the original Quadrajet number to suit. Once set up correctly it is both a superior carb but also simply fits correctly and an overall investment to the car. 75 may be easier to find but 72 could be different setup like divorced choke to match. Not sure.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »
what he said...I agree
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline 2pfl

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Anyone know a good  website to purchase?

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »
10 years ago I could tell you.

Now, I'm just getting back into the whole scene again and off hand I can't tell you...sorry

Not much help there
Charlie

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 06:44:02 AM »
One thing I do know, is that once the Quadra jets are properly set up, and it takes some tinkering, they are fantastic carbs. It just takes dinking around to get them tuned properly so that you getting maximum potential out of it!!!

of course that's just my opinion on the matter
Charlie

Offline 2pfl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I was wondering if the Rochester 2 barrel or 4 In the classic industries catalog would be good?

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1972/pontiac/firebird/parts/4373.html

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 01:04:41 PM »
I an almost guarantee that the 2 barrel will be too small for that engine...once you establish what size carb you need for that set up, then you can buy a Quadra jet but as Aus78Formula mentioned, your car will be worth a lot more, and likely run better with a carb that matched the year of your car. If your not concerned with that then find out what CFM carb you need for your set up and order the right one.

Be patient and keep doing some research on it and you will be much happier in the long run.

Often you tend to spend more money over time trying to swap parts to get that right combination of thing when a little bit of digging and patience would have been all you needed

Listen to what everyone has to tell you, read all you can, learn all you can and decide in the end what works best for you and what is along the ideas you want to do
Charlie

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 02:20:40 PM »
You'll need to trawl used parts ads and carb rebuilders for numbers yhat work, not the sort of thing listed in a catalogue unless shopping for bling.

Offline 2pfl

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »
eBay seems to have a few I will check them out thank you all

Offline 2pfl

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:23:55 AM »
Update.... I decided to go with a Holley brawler 750 cfm. Sweet looking carb and the car runs amazing now and I don’t think me or my father have heard it run as good as it does now. Just need to wire In the electric choke then I can put the air cleaner and shaker back on finally!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 02:14:21 AM »
Thought it was too hard, all good , enjoy it!