Author Topic: Wiring issue not sure where to start  (Read 1638 times)

Offline avewhtboy

Wiring issue not sure where to start
« on: November 26, 2008, 09:23:40 AM »
Was reading some of the other wiring issue threads on here which led me to thinking
I need to fix something with the wiring in my car but not sure exactly where to start.

First of its 1981 model stock except headers which means it has the computer
controlled carb and distributor and it has the deluxe seat belt headlight reminder???

Here are the symptoms...i think they are all related...

The headlight warning chime stays on all the time if the headlights are on whether the
cars running...off....doors open or close just stays on...so it's unplugged been driving that
way but would like to get it corrected.

Second thing that happens is while driving down the road the "brake" light comes on intermittently
and goes right back out...when this happens the engine stumbles too...

Third, when I apply my parking brake the light does not come on telling me its applied...maybe just need to
move the switch a little or rough up the paint around the ground on that???

thanks hope to get this sorted....
Ricky aka avewhtboy

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Wiring issue not sure where to start
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
On the parking brake switch...have you looked at the switch itself?  The switch on my car stuck and the light was always on.  That circuit is pretty simple.  The switch grounds the circuit.  The switch is fastened with one fastener.  You can take it out and test it with an ohm meter.  Then with the key on, try grounding that white lead and see if the parking brake light comes on.  That same circuit also has a lead to the master cylinder so if you don't find the problem at the parking brake, you'll have to move on to the master cylinder.

I'm not sure about the headlight warning chime.

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »

The headlight warning tone sounds like possibly the
drivers seat belt switch isn't closing. Is it unplugged
by chance?

Beyond that, the possibility exists that the warning
tone module itself has failed.

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com

Offline avewhtboy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »
On the parking brake switch...have you looked at the switch itself?  The switch on my car stuck and the light was always on.  That circuit is pretty simple.  The switch grounds the circuit.  The switch is fastened with one fastener.  You can take it out and test it with an ohm meter.  Then with the key on, try grounding that white lead and see if the parking brake light comes on.  That same circuit also has a lead to the master cylinder so if you don't find the problem at the parking brake, you'll have to move on to the master cylinder.

I'm not sure about the headlight warning chime.

I have messed around with the emergency brake switch and it seems to ground
properly when closed/shorted however you want to put it...so I believe the problem
is down stream from there???

The headlight warning tone sounds like possibly the
drivers seat belt switch isn't closing. Is it unplugged
by chance?

Beyond that, the possibility exists that the warning
tone module itself has failed.

Joe

I will have to check that and see if its plugged in...i did have the interior completely
stripped so could be something like that...would not be surprised if thats the problem
but was not sure how to trouble shoot this circuit....i had posted about this before because
the chime harness had a wire cut....let me see if i can find the pic i posted about this before...

Ricky aka avewhtboy

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:09:58 PM »
Try disconnecting the ebrake swtich wire and put some tape over the wire connector so it can't ground.  Remember, when the ebrake is on, you won't get a light.  See if the brake light on the gauge cluster still acts up.  If it does, you'll want to check the master brake switch.  If it doesn't act up, change the ebrake switch.