Author Topic: ''HELP NEEDED IGNITION SWITCH QUESTIONS.''  (Read 1456 times)

Offline jay 77 t/a

''HELP NEEDED IGNITION SWITCH QUESTIONS.''
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
IM SWITCHING MY STEERING COLUMN OUT. THE CAR ORGINALLY HAS A NON TILT COLUMN. IM TAKING IT OUT TO SWITCH TO A TILT COLUMN, AND I WANTED TO PUT A NEW IGNITION SWITCH ON THE TILT COLUMN. THE CAR IS A 77 4 SPEED, AND MY TITL COLUMN IS FROM A 79 AUTOMATIC CAR. NEED TO KNOW WHAT ALL IS NEEDED TO MAKE IT WORK. ALSO WHAT YEAR IGNITION SWITCH TO GET, AND SHOULD IT BE FOR A TILT OR NON TILT. SINCE THE CAR ORGINALLY HAS A NON TILT COLUMN IN IT.

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
Re: ''HELP NEEDED IGNITION SWITCH QUESTIONS.''
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »
Well if your putting a tilt column in it you need to get the ignition switch for the 79 tilt column your talking lock tumbler and key right not the switch on top of the column.  also I think that the connector from the gear box to the end of the steering column is different not sure what they actually call that you'll have to use one off a 79 the rag joint is the same pretty much I think but the end that attaches to the column shaft is different. I'm sure someone else with chime in here soon and correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:32 PM »
Yes, I'm pretty sure the 77 column has a splined bottom end of the column shaft. So, the 77 intermediate shaft has a splined clamp to fit it. The 79 shaft end is a slip together deal with a hole that you put a bolt or pin through the hole and tighten with a nut. So, you need the 79 intermediate shaft.

For the switch, whether you need the switch or the lock cylinder, you'd need the 79 parts.

Since the headlight dimmer switch is on the 79 column, you could connect your 77 floor switch wires to the wires on the column and use the column dimmer.
Steve F.

Offline jay 77 t/a

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:35:57 AM »
that would be the switch on top of the column

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
Just to clarify, the ignition switch is the thing down about halfway on the column tube with the wires going to it, underneath the dash. The ignition lock cylinder is where you put the key.
Steve F.

Offline jay 77 t/a

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
yes, you are correct.