Author Topic: #62 heads on a 350 pont ?  (Read 4843 times)

Offline 1976bober

#62 heads on a 350 pont ?
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
Would # 62 heads work on a 76 350 Pont. to increase hp,?

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
Re: #62 heads on a 350 pont ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:21:13 AM »
No.62's are a good choice as it has screw-in studs, but with 2.11/1.77 valves you need to chamfer the tops of the cylinder bores to keep the valves from hitting the block. Use a 326/350P head gasket to get a chamfer location and go down about .250" from the top of the block.

You'll notice a definite increase in power (especially if you swap in a more aggressive cam), but remember the stock 350P has cast rods- take it easy on the revs. Be sure to loose the logs and run a more free-flowing exhaust as well.

Geno

Offline 1976bober

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »
I've installed an Edelbrock 2157 cam kit and new roller T/chain with a rebuilt q/jet so far . I'd like a little more hp. if I can get it with reasonable $$'s I figure I can use the 62's on a 400 if I can swing one of those some day !! I have the 6x4 now ! Thanks 

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:27:34 AM »
I've installed an Edelbrock 2157 cam kit and new roller T/chain with a rebuilt q/jet so far . I'd like a little more hp. if I can get it with reasonable $$'s I figure I can use the 62's on a 400 if I can swing one of those some day !! I have the 6x4 now ! Thanks

Oh, well, you can dream about better heads or get some.

The Edelbrock Performer cam is okay with your 6x-4's, but at 7.4-7.6:1 SCR you're not gonna be making any real hp gains with that cam or anything else- you need to raise static compression, and your best bet is with a 72cc head swap. Any other 72cc head will work as well- no. 12,13,16,48, or even 670 will do it. Be sure to have the heads serviced (valve job, guides, decking) before you use them.

Geno

Offline 1976bober

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
I changed the cam /timing kit/intake 2brl to 4brl/ 256 open gear to 308 posi . and so far it's improved a lot . I also have dual f/masters . I figured it would take heads to do any other upgrades at this point. I've found a set of 62 with all new parts for a good price so I was wondering how much of a pain it was going to be to do that . I can always use the 62's on a 400 on a later build I'm sure ! Thanks for the input !

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:16:15 AM »
Swapping fresh rebuilt heads onto a shortblock with unknown mileage/ condition doesn't guarantee the same results as an entire rebuilt engine- your power output ultimately depends on piston ring condition, and how well they seal. The block surface should also be thoroughly cleaned of all gasket material and checked with a straightedge to make sure it's flat enough for a good head gasket seal.

If you pull your 6x-4's and find a ridge at the top of the cylinder and taper in the cylinder bores greater than .005", your power gain with those small chamber heads will be short lived- eventually your rings will wear out, seal less, and allow gases to blow by the rings. Ideally you want your cylinder bores to be the same diameter at the top and bottom, so the rings seal consistently and last longer. A taper forms at the top because compression pushes on the rings and the rings dig harder into the cylinder walls at the top than they do at the bottom.

If you pull your heads and there's no ridge but the cylinder walls are smooth, you may consider pulling the shortblock, ball honing the block and fitting new rings to the existing pistons (pistons should be cleaned of course before you install the new rings). The honing gives the new rings a rougher surface to bite into and provide a better seal. It's more work, but the results will be better and your power increase will last longer (25-50k mi. depending on how you drive).

Geno

Offline 1976bober

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the info ,it's cleared up some other questions I had about the 350 .