Author Topic: Engine Restoration Help/Assistance  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Solar78

Engine Restoration Help/Assistance
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »
Ok.. so by now you all know I am new to this Trans am game...
Love these cars.. but let me tell ya.. I just don't have the space to rip out my engine and restore it and make the engine bay look decent. I will redo the interior of the car myself.. as I think that is more feasible for me.

Anyway, I thought I had someone that was going to take on the project... but no go. (Jason is too busy, Rick and Brett are just too far away for what I want done to the car at this point and I cant justify the shipping of $2000)

Does anyone know anybody that would be interested in a job like this that is in the vicinity of NYC?

Thanks...
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:49:25 PM »
Well, I am only in Cleveland, Ohio here so NYC is only about an 8 hour drive.  Shipping to me would be about $500 in an open trailer and about $800 back to you in an enclosed trailer.  I do have a couple of people that I know of in the NJ/NY area that might be worth a shot.  I will get you their names and numbers.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Solar78

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:01:29 PM »
Brett,
I am sending you an email on this..
Thanks..
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »
Better yet, drive it and fly home.  I bet you can get a flight for $150.  Then fly back and drive it home when it's done.  When I bought my T/A two years ago, I flew to Illinois for $150....the cab ride to the guys house cost me $120 though....figure that one out!  I flew from California to pick up a car I had never seen.....to drive it home just about 2,000 miles.  I remember thinking on the flight there that I must be out of my mind.  I had a ton of fun on the way home!  It was well worth driving versus shipping.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »
I did that with my car too.  I flew out to Tennessee, caught a cab, then drove the car back home again.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Solar78

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 04:47:56 PM »
SHOWOFFS!   :lol:

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 08:25:31 PM »
Quote from: Solar78
SHOWOFFS!   :lol:

We're not showing off....we're cheap!!!!  It was a ton of fun for me.  But I gotta say it was somewhat scary.  And, to be honest, I hadn't driven a stick shift since 1977...The car before my 1978 formula.

Offline Solar78

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »
hahaha

How long was it since you had driven a 4 speed?

Like riding a bike I bet

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 09:41:52 PM »
Actually, I had a hard time driving the stick.  Then I found out that the transmission, clutch and flywheel were shot.  I had all that fixed and my shifting abilities have increased greatly...but my wallet is a little thinner.

That's why I always tell people who would like to own one of these T/A's to expect to spend money on them.  They are not new cars.

And, prior to July 2004, the last time I drove a stick was in November of 1977.  See, you couldn't buy sticks in California.  I tried to get one on my Formula but only auto's were available in California.

Offline Solar78

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 09:51:20 AM »
Great weather in Cali.. but no manual tranny or 400 engines!! hahaha