Author Topic: Any RVers on the forum?  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Jonnyscotti

• Proud to be me.
Any RVers on the forum?
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »
Johnathan's job might take him elsewhere. Neither of us are interested in me staying and him traveling back and forth. So we've decided that a fifth wheel RV would suit us until the job is done. Plus it would be nice for taking a trip back east for a little show with the initials T.A.N. in Ohio.  ;D I don't want to jinx that so I won't say it out loud.

Is there any particuliar problem areas we need to know about? We're going to be buying used, that's why I ask. We find it silly to buy new when there are alot of great used rigs out there.

We have a 2500 Duramax but it's a shortbed, is that going to be a problem?

How big is too big before it starts getting difficult to park at camp sites and rv parks?

Any other advice/information is greatly appreciated.
The small things aren't worth getting
angry about, my daughter taught me that.
R.I.P. Sierra Louise May 1, 2005 - July 21, 2005

Offline pointman

• Ohio Firebirds Member
Re: Any RVers on the forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:39:10 PM »
Never had a fifth wheel RV, had a 32' Wilderness travel trailer, pulled it with a 1/2 ton Chevy, never had a problem. I think as long as you have the power, (Duramax) you should pull fine. Talk or go online and research what a suitable length fifth wheel RV will work with your trucks wheelbase.
Gerrit VK

78 Gold SE Y88 400 auto
79 Black 403 auto
86 Fiero SE V6
07 H3 Hummer
04 GMC Safari

Offline PA Formula 78

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
You shouldn't really have any problems with towing, even though you have a short bed.  We have been shopping for a camper also lately, however we decided we are just going to wait till next fall to buy something.  If you go with a 5th wheel you don't really need to worry about the length, as much as you do the weight.  Do you have any certain brands that you have been looking at.
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD (daily driver)
78 Pontiac Firebird Esprit - mild 350, 4-speed, hardtop
77 Plymouth Volare - mild 318, auto, t-tops
64 Plymouth Valiant - built 360, push button auto (future project)

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:33 PM »
Get a slider hitch it will make it easier with the short bed.