Author Topic: Your just not going to believe this! tic, tic, tic,  (Read 14423 times)

Offline Clint s

Re: Your just not going to believe this! tic, tic, tic,
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 07:29:48 PM »
225 is a bit high, probally on the really high end of normal.  Anything higher than 220 and I get worried.  Advanced timing can cause it to run too hot.  When you get cooled down recheck your timing Just to see if it hasn't moved.  My engine builder lashed mine at his shop and I have not had a problem in about 1000 miles or so.  I have roller rockers and poly locks though.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ðragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 08:10:53 PM »
I have roller rockers and poly locks though.

So does Rich.
Larry

Offline 2002 Bigride

• First Car I Ever Bought
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 02:13:33 PM »
I was also wondering what type of rocker arm locks that he has.  When I rebuilt my 78, we adjusted them once and never had a problem.  Sounds like something is not right there.  They should not loosen up like that.  Worse case is go back with what was stock or go with some 1.65 to 1 rockers vice the 1.5s.  I would also adjust with the car running and just hope you don't have a high volume and high pressure oil pump, can make a mess.
Mike "The Animal" Averett

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »
I'm not using roller rockers and I'm using Koolnuts.  For the 4 rockers that continue to give me an issue... I'm putting the stock nuts back on and see how that works.  If they tap when the engine gets warm I'll hot lash them and that should take care of the issue.  I will also be retarding my timing as it's way too advanced at 34* idle, which should take care of my heat problem.
Rich

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »
Oops, sorry, I thought you went with rollers and polys.
Larry

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 07:31:38 PM »
Oops, sorry, I thought you went with rollers and polys.

It's all good ;)  just don't let it happen again!   >:(

Just joshin ya  :P
Rich

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 08:02:26 PM »
I remember talking about your choices for adjustables and it was between the polys and the KNs. But I could have sworn you went with rollers.

Must be my CRS flaring up again.
Larry

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 08:18:02 PM »
I remember talking about your choices for adjustables and it was between the polys and the KNs. But I could have sworn you went with rollers.

Naw, your just gettin old my friend
Rich

Offline thumper78

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 08:26:45 PM »
Rich
Here's something to mull over in your quest for a tap free engine. I've included pictures to illustrate my points.

Here are pictures comparing stock bottleneck rocker stud to an ARP rocker stud. First thing you'll notice is that the ARP stud looks straight compared to the stock bottleneck (profile view). ARP studs & BB Chevy studs are similar. The straight studs are less likely to break. They also offer the advantage of being able to make the valvetrain adjustable. Disadvantage, if you want to call it that, ::) is that you need some type of poly lock or other self locking nuts. Stock Pontiac jam nuts will not work. The jam nut works by bottoming against the shoulder where the step is on the upper shank. (Smooth to threaded area)

Second thing you should notice is the top of the respective studs. The ARP stud is ground flat and at a 90* angle to the side of the stud. This provides a nice flat surface to lock a polylock set screw down onto. :)

On the other hand, the Pontiac stud is very crude on their top finish. I think you'll find that all Pontiac rocker studs have a dish in them. And the top of this particular stud is not even close to 90* with the side of the stud. How can anyone expect a set screw to seat and lock against an uneven surface like this? ::)

And this is a picture of a 25 year old polylock. I don't know how a Kool Nut compares, but I don't see how it can be much different. What do they have that this doesn't, an anodized finish? ::)

Now, I know that Mike (fb_rider) is using Kool Nuts and as far as I know, he's not experiencing any problems with his rocker adjustment loosening up.

But you Rich, on the other hand, are experiencing nothing but greif.

Try looking at the top of your rocker studs. That's where I think your problem is, unless of course your lobes are going flat, which is another possibility.  :o

You said a while back that Summit said you didn't need to use adjusting nuts. I don't agree, but then that's my opinion. An adjustable valvetrain will allow you to achieve the maximum lift and performance from your cam.

If you really think that going back to the stock jam nuts will solve your problem, then do it. If nothing else, if the lifters stop clattering, then you'll know that it's the Kool Nuts loosening up. And the cause for that is probably the tops of the rockers.

But if you are going to change them, then change all the nuts, not just the ones that are loose now. Otherwise, your engine may run rough with some valves opening more than others.

Something to look at and think about.

Later
Steve R

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 09:46:26 PM »
Well, another thought struck me and that is using the dish washers from the old set up.  I did not put them back on when I installed the KN's but maybe I should have.  That would lift the KN about a 1/4 inch and give plenty of bite with the allen screw and plenty of room for the KN to torque down for lashing.  I believe I will try this latter idea before I do anything else.  thougths?

And by the way, the KB's look very similar to your pic above.
Rich

Offline wheels78ta

• Worth its weight in Gold
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »

Naw, your just gettin old my friend
LOL   you're both wrong.......it's not CRS....it's Sometimers disease.  And we don't get old...we get Tired.   ;) ;) ;D 
1978 Y88 W72 WS6 4-SPD 79,000 miles
1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 7.4L Vortec 4x4
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1L Vortec 4x4
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3L Vortec 4x4

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 09:59:10 PM »
Oh no, I'm not getting anything. I'm already there.
Larry

Offline fb_rider

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »
Well, another thought struck me and that is using the dish washers from the old set up.

I'm pretty sure that's your problem. I used my washers - I don't think you'd want the kool nuts right on the rocker arms.
1977 Trans Am SE w/W72 engine (sold)
1999 Trans Am Anniversary Edition #953 (sold)
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #263

Offline thumper78

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 10:12:09 PM »
Well, another thought struck me and that is using the dish washers from the old set up.  I did not put them back on when I installed the KN's but maybe I should have.  That would lift the KN about a 1/4 inch and give plenty of bite with the allen screw and plenty of room for the KN to torque down for lashing.  I believe I will try this latter idea before I do anything else.  thougths?

Dish washers??

I hope you aren't referring to the rocker ball?

I'll probably get flak for this, but I've never seen washers on top of the rocker balls.

Maybe you need to post some pictures, because I'd like to see these washers.

Later
Steve R

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 10:13:34 PM »

Dish washers??

I hope you aren't referring to the rocker ball?

I'll probably get flak for this, but I've never seen washers on top of the rocker balls.

Maybe you need to post some pictures, because I'd like to see these washers.

I'm thinking the same thing. But after all the bad calls I already made I didn't want to be the first to say anything.
Larry