Author Topic: OEM or Yearone snowflake wheels?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline jvmagic

Offline jvmagic

Re: OEM or Yearone snowflake wheels?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
I'm just wondering if they have the same shine.  Are the OER clear coated or a lesser wheel?

The backspacing seems to differ as well.  OER = 4.25" backspacing and Yearone = 4.50" backspacing.  I suppose the OER wheels will stick out more so than the YO wheels.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:25:11 PM »
For a few bucks more you can get the year one 17" wheels. I run them on my 81, huge difference in the handling characteristics of the car, it truly feels modern with just the wheel/tire change.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Year+One+Wheels/219/SFW179GLDV2S/10002/-1

The back spacing may help bring the tire inward, ideal if you switch to rear disc brakes. Otherwise. It's only .25". The back spacing is a bigger deal with the 17x9, I believe the first run of the YO wheels had a different backspace which made then tight to fit if you had rear disc brakes.

81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline CARiD

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:21:39 AM »
15" tires look more period correct for this model, however modern 17"s will give you a better handling and driving comfort in compare to the smaller old school wheels, especially if you're getting wider stance. Are Bigger Wheels Better Wheels?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:43:55 AM by CARiD »