Author Topic: any word on repop dash yet?  (Read 3412 times)

Offline 461 stroker transam

any word on repop dash yet?
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:51 AM »
this maybe should have went under the "aftermarket tab"?
anyway, does anyone know if the reproduction dashes are out yet?
I still haven't been able to locate one. I have a cap now, and it doesn't look bad (better than all the cracks I had), but {I} know it's just not right...

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
Re: any word on repop dash yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »
Repro dashes have trickled out over the years. Never really been full availability of them. It doesn't look like there will be any more, based on this recent discussion about them at TAC, unless somebody else decides to have them made:

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=67592.0
Steve F.

Offline Pega_de

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
I think, when OEM or any other supplier releases dashboards for our car, they wouldn't cost much less than good uncracked originals.

And you can be sure than originals fit great in your car.

So I bought a used, but in great condition dash for a few bucks a few weeks ago for storing over the next years. It's much more difficult to get a dash here in Europe  ;) .

Offline wrod55

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:41:34 PM »
Classic Industries just sent me one before Christmas. OUCH-It was expensive! I hope it was worth the money.

Offline 81

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
I ordered one right after they started shipping the back orders as an experiment.  Hopefully I'll get it in less than three years.

Offline Mikep

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:56:07 PM »
Out of curiosity how rare are the dashes and how much would an original Gm in the box be worth ?

Offline OrangeCrush79

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:42 PM »
I replaced my dash about 2 years ago. I contacted Just Dashes based in California and they told me that I needed to remove my old cracked dash and send it to them. The process then starts with the removal of the vinyl and foam and leaves the just the plastic skeleton. If there aren't any broken area's, they reapply new foam that's better than the original. Then a correct grain vinyl is shrink applied onto the dash.
     My dash did have some damage in the plastic skeleton and I was told it was unusable. They told me that I can purchase an already done dash for $1,400.00. Yes, it seemed like a lot of money - but the dash IS BEAUTIFUL! I get complements from everyone I meet at car shows. If you want the best - call Just Dashes.

Offline 81

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
Update: I received my OER reproduction dash from CI about a month ago.  The dash looked great except it had a large repaired tear on the vinyl below the heater controls.  I have no idea how this dash made it past QC.  Long story short CI was able to locate another dash for me, and I shipped my defective one back a week or so ago.  Blemish aside, the reproduction dash is a very nice piece.  It's missing the stitching detail around the perimeter of the gauge opening, otherwise it looks spot on.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »
Thanks for your report on the new dash. 

You got me thinking about whether there is a stitching detail around the opening perimeter. I looked closely at my original 78 and 79 dashes, and there is no stitching detail on those original dashes. I think what can be confused with stitching is just the dash grain texture. So, I think your new dash is correct.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:44:11 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
A friend of mine just sent me a couple pics of the one he received recently.  Only took a couple weeks to get after he ordered it.

Offline seaserge11

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »
I ordered a dash from Jeg's two weeks ago. Paid in full, waiting. My opinion is I rather get a new dash than a 40 year old dash that may crack when installing due to age. I noticed on previous picture, no grab handle. Are we suppose to cut new dash and install handle? Please advise. I'm far from completing frame off restoration so I have time to spare. Anyone knows who the manufacturer is so that a call could be placed and get an updated on backorders?

:)