Author Topic: Body Mounts..One at a time method? Rubber to Energy suspension Polyurethane!  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Jeromey

Got a question.  I am down to the sub-frame and looking to change all my mounts/bushings.

I don't have the resources for a full off frame restore, but i am looking at switching the body mounts. 

Can I do these one at a time? TIPS?   In other words, I want to lift the body, and replace  one bushings at a time.  Replace and then drop and reconnect the body.

I don't want to take all of them off at the same time.  I am afraid i might not get them to align right.

Would i just disconnect, one at a time, lift that section with a jack or something.

Furthermore,  I removed the engine exct, and jacked up the car by the front sub-frame cross member (under the oil pan).  There is some major flex where the sub-frame bushings meet the body.   I assume this is normal or it will be the problem will be solved by installing new mounts?

Offline tata

It sounds alot harder then it is, do one side at a time, it will make a difference.  Just get the bolt out just enough to get bushing out. Slide the new one in and your all good. And remember to pre lube. Use a 2x4 to lift body across wise, do drivers side to passenger side

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Is your ES poly kit 3-4144 and not the older 3-4129 ?

Offline Jeromey

Thanks Guys for the feed back.

Feel much better going into this part of the build.  Unfortunately i took this week off of work and was supposed to finish up the front end but the rain and cold had other plans for me.

Yes Aus78, I have the 3.4144G bushings.  What's the difference?

Also, I do plan on running some sub-frame connectors for additional support.  I am reading that i should use solid body mounts if i am going with sub-frame connectors.  Is this correct?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
All good, 3-4144 is correct. Many older kits are still the incorrect Nova kit 3-4129 and many still list is as Firebird.
You can use subframe connectors with poly mounts, just bolt them in, advisable anyway. Even rubber mounts can still use subframe connectors, the results are just not as obvious!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:20:26 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Jeromey

Thanks Aus78.  Much appreciated. 

Getting excited.  after this, 80% of rebuild is done.  Cant wait.  Motor comes out of the shop next week.