Author Topic: Building in progress, with tons of pics... Pontiac 400  (Read 15023 times)

Offline Wild Bill

• 7081transam.com
    • 1970 - 1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Re: Building in progress, with tons of pics... Pontiac 400
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2009, 06:55:49 PM »

Almost done. What's left? Waiting for my oil pump bolts so I can bolt up my oil pump, bolt up the oil pan, waiting on the flexplate bolts so I can bolt that up, and install the motor mount brackets, and it's done, I think I have a 4 day weekend coming up this weekend so that's the day it's getting pulled. I've been busy lately with work and hadn't had alot of time to work with the motor or even get online and order the bolts I needed. I'm thinking about putting my mini starter on before I drop it in the car, and then I have my headers to do also. It's been a pain in my butt getting time lately to deal with the motor, it's been sitting in my garage for about 2 months now, I'm to the point where if I don't drop the motor in this weekend or this month, I'll send it home to my dad and deal with it during Christmas, and I really don't want that to happen. Oh and I purchased 3.42 and 3.71 gears, or is it 3.72, eh, whatever, still deciding what to put in it, I got my Series 3 carrier just have to find a good shop around here to do it for me. I'm for sure waiting until Christmas to drop my high performance 200R4 in it, I'll deal with high RPM's until then, I'm tired of working on this thing by myself with such huge projects, its not for the solo person.

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »
Bill,
Your motor looks good- 400's drop into second gen Firebirds like slipping on a comfortable pair of shoes, you should have it in your engine bay in a short time. Make sure your oil pump pickup is brazed or secured w/ a set screw to keep it from working loose- having to pull an engine and oil pan to reattach a pickup tube is not fun (even worse doing it in the car).

Geno

Offline Wild Bill

• 7081transam.com
    • 1970 - 1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2009, 12:40:47 AM »
hey, thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to do that

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »
the motor looks great. good job
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)