Author Topic: Shakers and bases  (Read 2771 times)

Offline TimBarb

Shakers and bases
« on: January 29, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »
Is it possible to use any year shaker on the correct base/air cleaner for the given year of the car? ( I.E.— a 1977, 1978 etc. shaker installed on a 1981 with the 305 engine) . I’m finding that the 305 base and shaker are difficult to locate. Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Shakers and bases
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 02:15:42 AM »
There's slight differences in the shakers, but more importantly the adaptor plate that makes all the difference is part of the shaker. So if you have a busted but correct shaker, you can pull it apart for the plate but will require test fitting to a different shaker to find correct location. Otherwise, you'd still need to pull another non-matching shaker apart, if the diameter of the base even works, and shift it to suit as well. If that was the case I wouldn't bother with used parts, start fresh with new shaker and repro adaptor plate that have no holes and can install where works, but again, not sure if they even used the same size lid to clamp to.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 02:21:45 AM »
The correct 305 shaker is now available with notched side. Hopefully, that adaptor isn't too far behind since it's also required unless you swap the one you don't have. Might be worth shooting a message to ask them, or anyone that stocks the new 305 shaker.

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1980_1981_Trans_Am_Shaker_Scoop_305_cid_p/she-2533e.htm

Offline TimBarb

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
Thank you  Aus78 Formula. I checked out the 305 shaker per your provided link. I agree this would be the most cost effective replacement . Per your post, I will still need the 305 base and the correct air cleaner. I will follow up with firebird central to inquire if they will be offering the 305 base- that would just make sense. I’m guessing that  I will just have to keep searching for a used 305 air cleaner base and lid. I have the non shaker air cleaner that came on the car (1981 Formula) — I’m wondering if that air cleaner base would work but with a smaller diameter “lid”.
Thanks again!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 12:14:25 PM »
I haven't looked but I would guess that the 305 air cleaner base is the same as what was offered on nearly every Camaro of the same years. That's prob also what you have if it's a 305 Formula, only the lid changed.

Offline TimBarb

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
OK— well I have a few leads on some shakers with the appropriate 305 Chevy metal base. Can anyone provide me with a photo of an authentic 1981 305 shaker/ base?! I need an accurate photo so I have something to confirm that the shakers I am looking at are correct . Thank You!

Offline TimBarb

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
Aus78Formula. I located a good 305 shaker on eBay. Couple things I learned in this search. The air cleaner on the 305 formula is the same as on the 305 trans am. The air cleaner from a camaro and corvette ( same model years) with hood induction will also work. For anyone searching for a shaker— do not assume that the shaker decal identification reflects what that shaker came from or will fit. Per your post, you need to identify the metal base to determine that shaker application. The shaker I located was being sold as a shaker for a 77 trans am and had 6.6 liter  I.D. decals . After hours of researching and viewing the 4 different metal bases that were used, I was able to determine that the shaker I purchased was actually for the 5 liter Chevy.- There are no after market metal bases available for the  305 Chevy .All other engine bases are available new on the after market—  301,  400 and 455 pontiacs, and 403 olds. Hope this helps anyone else searching for the correct shaker. Thanks again Aus78Formula for your input on this.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
Good to hear. Happy to help.