Author Topic: Trans am 400 questions  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Zenki 95

Trans am 400 questions
« on: May 30, 2015, 12:25:31 AM »
So of course I'm new to this forum, thanks for clicking.

Anyways, just picked up a 76 trans am with no engine.
Picked up a 400 pontiac 481988 code
So as I was trying to find interchangeable parts for this engine to try and fire it up on the cheap.
Seems this engine sells for a ton! Why haha. Being new to gm or trans am in general wanted to get some advice. So this motor was pulled running years back, distributor got smashed, will replace fuel pump, fluids and filters, and will clean the carb that was protected well with a cover.

Where to start? Not sure If I should even hit up the junkyard if I can't find interchangeable parts? Or parts off a running engine that I can't find. Thought that chevy 350 parts would fit?

I have a 240sx with a built sr20det for 500up+ I'm working on aswell

Offline BanditRich

• Mass Firebirds
Re: Trans am 400 questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
The 400 you got is a strong block to build upon. Get the book " How To Rebuild Pontiac V8s" by Rocky Rotella and it will have everything you need to know.
Black Y88 - W72/WS6                                                            "What's a Texas county mountie doing in Arkansas? Well let's see what he's got under the hood! Bye bye baby!"
http://www.allgentransams.com/members_pages/mf/april2010.html

Offline LWS78SE

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
I don't know how original you are wanting to keep this, but if you need a distributor, I'd look @ aftermarket( Mallory, ProForm, Pertronix) You can buy a new one for less than rebuilding your old one, especially if it is munched. And the new ones are much better with much higher voltage and hotter spark than the original HEI.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:06:10 PM by LWS78SE »
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law!"

Offline jonathonar89

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 04:55:35 PM »
A good place to start is to get an electric fuel pump.  Spectra makes a stock replacement gas tank with built in electric pump.  Use a regulator and you have perfect fuel pressure at all times with the carburetor.  The key activated pump also fills your carb bowl(s) right away for easy starting.

If going HEI ignition, MSD, Pertronix and Mallory all have in builtrev limiter modules.  Otherwise, a good non vacuum controlled distributor works great as well. 

What kind of carb came on there?