Author Topic: Need more help than that with Shifter Light  (Read 1284 times)

Offline campo158

Need more help than that with Shifter Light
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:09:04 AM »
Need more help with shift indicator light. Previously posted my car did not have one. Was able to get one from ebay. Need help installing. Light came intact with socket and bulb with a gray wire attached. There are 2 clips, one looks like a ground ( where does that mount?? and what is the other clip??) and a terminal at the end of the wire ( where does that plug in to??) and since I dont see a location for that to plug into as I have looked before and there was nothing obvious to me, can this wire be spliced into another wire for it to work. Any and all help appreciated.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: Need more help than that with Shifter Light
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:47:01 AM »
OK...The clip that you mentioned should be "clipped" to an open spot on the shifter mechanism itself. This is providing the ground leg of the circuit.

The terminal end should plug into your dash harness. If you poke your head up under the dash you may see a dangling solid grey wire with the opposite end of the terminal you're looking for. That's if you're lucky. With my luck, that connector will be gone. But all is not lost. Simply tap into any of the solid grey wires to feed your shift indicator light and you'll be golden.

**The solid grey wire is your dash/gauge illumination circuit.

Good luck!

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline jtwoodro007

Re: Need more help than that with Shifter Light
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:49 PM »
Thanks for the post Brain, exactly what I needed to know.
Jon W.