Author Topic: Need opinion on exhaust upgrade  (Read 4915 times)

Offline lsutiger98

Need opinion on exhaust upgrade
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:30:19 AM »
Purchased a restored '78 T/A less than a year ago.  Previous owner did kind of a hack job on exhaust system.  Has 400 with stock exhaust manifolds, but converters are gone and the previous owner ran 2" straight pipe to rear end.  Sounds like a tractor and probably losing HP due to current configuration.  I would like to put after market headers and a respectable exhaust system with mufflers.  Looking for a good, throaty sound that will allow the engine to breath properly without rolling down the road sounding like an old pickup truck.   :-\
Suggestions?  Testimonials?  Is long tube better than short tube?  Will certain brands or makes of headers create an excessive heat problem in the cabin as I have read about on this forum?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Daniel78ta

Re: Need opinion on exhaust upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
Check Out Ram Air Restorations Headers and Full Exhaust X-Over systems for your 78 TA..

I recently had my 400 Rebuilt and added the Ram Air Restoration Ultimate X Over system along with their Oversized Ram Air Headers.. I also went with their Goerlich muffles.. In all honesty - my TA breaths much better and sounds awesome!!!!! 

When I ordered - I purchased everything - from the Exhaust manifold gaskets all the way back! Gaskets, Bolts, Hangers, Mufflers and exhaust pips. Everything!  I did have to order the Tips from another company.

Give them a call and ask for Paul.. they are very helpful and i would recommend them!

I could not be happier with the performance and sound..!!

- Daniel78ta
Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline lsutiger98

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »
Daniel, thank you!  I will look into Ram Air. Did you do the installation yourself? If so, did you have any issues with the fit?

Offline mikekop

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:56:56 AM »
I also have the Ultimate X-over system, with Spintech mufflers. Don't expect it to be a bolt-on, there is a lot of cutting, welding and testfitting involved. I have the burnmarks to prove it :-D
The real issue I had was that one of the downpipes wasn't bent enough, so I had to cut out a slice, bend the pipe and weld it shut.
Here's how my car sounds with it: Trans Am sound clip: http://youtu.be/M2wSh7w5J4c

Skickat från min SGP321 via Tapatalk

I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline Dark T/A

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
i got to figure out what to do with my exhaust on my 79. Thanks Daniel for the mention of Ram Air Restorations. I got look into something. My exhaust is barely hanging on and its on its 3rd time being redone. my original was destroyed removing rear leaf springs back in mid 90's.

First attempt I had a flowmaster system on it that had a 3" dual in and dual out transverse muffler but made for headers. I only had stock manifolds so exhaust shop made some custom pipes to connect. then I couldnt pass emissions with out a converter tried to get 2 welded in but could not get the fitment. it was way too big and i needed converters.

2nd attempt i went with the full system from classic industries..worst mistake ever. exhaust shop had to bend and heat everything and it costed more than it was worth. it held up for a good 8 years but now its not hanging right and I had to cut out half the system after mufflers.

If anyone has pictures of running straight off mufflers with turn downs . please share I need to figure how to get my exhaust supported at that point
-Rick

Offline Daniel78ta

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
hey lsutiger98

yes, we installed the exhaust on my TA.  I'm lucky enough that i was able to use a hoist at my fathers shop..!
There was some cutting/fitting we had to do on the Ram Air Restorations Ultimate exhaust (2.5").. Nothing to crazy thought!

the only problem we had was the pipes that go over the rear axel near the leaf springs.. we screwed with them for awhile.. I was running out of time and needed to break in my motor so - we got it looking as good as we could and welded the tips on and clamped everything else.  Next summer i plan on re-ordering the pipes that go from the mufflers back to the tips - and spend some time re-doing that part.

All in All they SOUND GREAT.... not to mention the Ram Air Ultimate System flows great! 

If you go with Ram Air Restorations - just ask for Paul.. i have nothing but good reviews for them.

- Daniel78ta
Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline lsutiger98

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:28 AM »
Thank you Daniel and Mikekop for the guidance. Unfortunatley, Mikekop, your video says its "private" and I could not view the video.  Sorry, man!

I will be making some decisions in the weeks to come and will move forward in December.  I will post once I have the system installed.  I am also in the process of getting some assistance to install a completely rebuilt 700R so I can have OD and I am going to convert the rear end from the stock 3.23s to 3.73s to try to put some pep in her step.  I can't wait to see how it goes. 

From there, I will start working on the engine.  I had it dyno'ed two weeks ago.  I couldn't believe it.  The car is 36 years old, has the original power train from front to rear and she put 196 HP to the ground at 4600 rpms.  I was blown away and so was the guy that owned the dyno.  We both took guesses as to what she would put down.  He said he thought around 160 and I was thinking around 175.  But to get 196 to the ground after all these years was very exciting.  I am hoping the new headers and moving from a 2" to 2.5" or bigger exhaust system should give me another 15HP or 20 HP.  I will keep yall posted. 

Offline mikekop

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 12:46:26 AM »
Sorry for the "private" setting, I've changed it to public now!
Nice numbers on the dyno! Is your engine an W72?

Skickat från min D6503 via Tapatalk

Offline Bayou_Flyer

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »
I have the Dynomax/Thrush transverse system on my 71 with the 350P. I bought from advance auto parts...right at $200 delivered with discount code. Not loud and no dragging issues....your exhaust guy will hate you for making him install it (I hear that is common on the transverse set ups) :)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/jeannelcm/1971%20Firebird/2ED092A3-8CB6-47E8-856B-FBD9DF6B43ED_1.mp4
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:03:01 PM by Bayou_Flyer »
1975 Formula 350/4spd
1979 T/A, W72/4spd, Black/Red
1971 Firebird, 350/Auto, Red/Blk
1977 Trans Am, W72/4spd, Goldenrod Yellow

Offline lsutiger98

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:30 PM »
Mikekop,
Yep, according to the research I have conducted, it is a W72.  From what I have been able to uncover using this site and a few others, I have the W72 engine package that included the slightly beefed up engine (supposedly 220 hp from factory), the automatic Turbo 350 trans, the stiffened suspension set up in the rear, and the 3.23 posi traction rear end. I can't confirm this by any other site, but one site did claim that there were only 4500 made with this specific package combination in 1978.  Still working to confirm that.  Can't find the build sheet on the car.  Will probably remove the back seat this weekend and look there for it.  I will post when I find it.

Offline lsutiger98

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »
Thanks, BayouFlyer!  I will take a look at that system.  Do you remember what your shop charged you to do the install?

Offline Daniel78ta

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
mikekop
- that TA is much too nice to have out in the snow...!!! 

Daniel78ta
Trans Am Fever!!!

Offline mikekop

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
Really?

Thanks Daniel for your kind words!

Skickat från min SGP321 via Tapatalk

Offline Bayou_Flyer

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »
Thanks, BayouFlyer!  I will take a look at that system.  Do you remember what your shop charged you to do the install?

It was a friend of mine...he did that and changed body bushings, replaced brake master cyl, etc....think I gave him $300 for all the work but not sure how it broke down.  I know he spent more time fitting the exhaust than anything. My brother SolarGold has had quite a few transverse systems installed...look him up. He will have a best guess on what to expect.

Regarding your W72....your 400 should have a rough chrome finish on the valve covers. The 3.23 rear will turn  around 3000rpm (ish) at 70mph, so that'll give you two things to help. Finding the build sheet would be best, but buying the docs from PHS is the next best option.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:49:51 PM by Bayou_Flyer »
1975 Formula 350/4spd
1979 T/A, W72/4spd, Black/Red
1971 Firebird, 350/Auto, Red/Blk
1977 Trans Am, W72/4spd, Goldenrod Yellow

Offline lsutiger98

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
Thanks, Bayou Flyer!  Yep, those two notes match my car. Brushed chrome valve covers and just around 3000 rpm at 70 mph. I also found the X7 code on the engine block.  I just would like to verify the production count. If the numbers I found on line are correct, this should be one of only 5100 made. But I am still working on that. Do you know much about that?  I found two Pontiac sites that claimed in 78, there were only around 5000 produced that came with the W72 engine, T350 auto tranny, and WS6 suspension package with the 3.23s in the rear end. But as I stated, still working on verification.