Author Topic: Replacing Door Skins  (Read 4411 times)

Offline brads1978ta

Replacing Door Skins
« on: July 05, 2006, 04:22:24 PM »
How hard is it to replace the door skins on my 1978 TA.  I have the mig and the plasma cutter ready just wanted to know if anyone has ever done this????

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Replacing Door Skins
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:29:31 PM »
It isn't easy that is for sure.  The main problem is the aftermarket skins themselves.  They never fit right and you have to do alot of working and extra welding to them to get the lines right on the car.  I have always opted to go and find original doors that are in good shape rather then use the aftermarket door skins.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline hesster

Dont bother
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:48:16 PM »
It is easier to pull the door off, set it flat on saw horses, bondo or glass it until it is fixed, seal and paint it, and rehang it.  A dealer would do exactly that.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Replacing Door Skins
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:55:33 PM »
i did mine in my garage...came out excellent....all you have to do is take your time...and go slow with it....otherwise youll get crimps and bends in everything....as for the skins brett is right there is some spots that youll have to work with in order to get the right fitment...but its not much and i didnt have to do any extra welding on the doors for lines either....the goodmark skins are the better ones, seems like the metal is thicker than the ones npd offers....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Replacing Door Skins
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:11:51 PM »
I think what they do is weld nails to the outer door skin and pull out the dents, cut the nails off and then finish with bondo.  At least that's how they fixed the door on my now deceased firebird.  I'm really picky and I hate bondo because of how it cracked in the 70's.  But I have to admit, I couldn't tell that the door had been repaired and since they blended the paint, I couldn't tell that the car was painted.  Not bad for fixing a car with original paint that was 23 years old.  And I was able to keep the original stickers on the inside of the door.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Replacing Door Skins
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 10:47:20 PM »
Quote from: ta78w72
I think what they do is weld nails to the outer door skin and pull out the dents, cut the nails off and then finish with bondo.  At least that's how they fixed the door on my now deceased firebird.  I'm really picky and I hate bondo because of how it cracked in the 70's.  But I have to admit, I couldn't tell that the door had been repaired and since they blended the paint, I couldn't tell that the car was painted.  Not bad for fixing a car with original paint that was 23 years old.  And I was able to keep the original stickers on the inside of the door.

Yep, thats the way the body shop fixed a door and a 1/4 on a 79 that I had.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 81 Turbo SE

Replacing Door Skins
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 12:08:24 AM »
:D The door skins on my Trans Am are in good shape but that (see above) makes me happy!!!!
1 Turbo Trans AM SE and 84 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Coupe