Author Topic: I need help with a car value  (Read 2601 times)

Offline S76GUY

I need help with a car value
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »
Ok guys
Here is what I need to know.
What do you think this car is worth?
I haven’t posted any pictures because I want an unbiased opinion on the car.
Just incase someone has seen it before. I don’t want that to influence there value.
I will post pictures after everyone’s input.
The car is a 1973 TA; it has what the guy is calling a show quality paint job.
That term is used very loosely these days, so we will call it between show
Quality and a driver paint job, just for the benefit of the drought. The hood bird peeled on the fwd edge, probably because it wasn’t put on right. The car looks good overall
In the pictures but you know how that goes.
It is a PHS documented car, I haven’t seen the document yet but he said he will send it to me.
The car is NOT a numbers match; the motor was replaced but with a dated coded 455.
The motor was rebuilt about 3 years ago along with the tranny.
It has a M20 tranny in it.
He said he wouldn’t think twice about driving it back to NY, about 1200 mile away.
Under the hood the engine needs some detail work, but over looks ok.
The car is an AC car but doesn’t have the compressor or the brackets on it.
Everything else for the air-condition aperies to be there.
The under side looks good and no signs of rust that I can see. Looks like new shocks.
I will ask for pictures of the hot spots.
The interior looks good no tears and the dash doesn’t have any cracks that I see; it was cut to put a CD player in it.
The car doesn’t have the original wheels on it either.
Overall impression is the car looks good; I don’t want another trailer queen like I got now
So this will fill the gap, no I am not getting rid of the SE either; this will just be the fun car.
The options that are in it are,
AC
Power windows
Console with 8 track
Deluxe interior
Tilt wheel

Ask questions I will answer what I know or get the answer.
Thanks
Tony T.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Re: I need help with a car value
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:17:40 AM »
It is always hard to detremine the value of a car without seeing it, but lets give it a good shot just by going on the description.  Now, from what you say above, it does not have the original engine nor the original rims (rims not a big deal).  Am I guessing everything else is as it should be?  Meaning, is it the original color exterior and interior of what shows on the cowl tag?  Is it a true Trans Am or just a Trans Am Clone?  Does he have any other paperwork besides the PHS Documents., such as papers on the engine build or paint and body work?  Was it originally a 4 speed car? How many miles are on the body of the car?

With all of those questions aside, lets take it that yes, the car is oriignal besides the engine and rims.  If the car is as you describe it as "Driver Quality" and would not hesitate to drive it 1200 miles, and is a true Trans Am.  Then I would probably put the value somewhere in the $20,000 range.  Give or take $3,000 in either direction.  Again, it is hard to determine vlaue without seeing the car, but this would be my best guess as to what I would pay for the car.

Here is a car that I sold about two years ago that I can compare it to: http://www.taspecialties.com/sold/ta4173.htm

Now that car I sold for $21,000 and I would say that it is comparable to what you are describing.  Now, I sold that for $21,000, but that was about two years ago.  Am I in the ball park?
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline cfPontiac

• ^ Find Whatcha Want ^
    • Ownster.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
I agree with Brett, it is very hard to determine price w/o seeing the car. I don't know what your financial situation is, but if I wanted a "fun car" as you put it, I would hope to get the car for between $15K-$20K. With a little luck, the seller won't have many suiters and he'll be anxious for a sale.

Find what you want, when you want at www.ownster.com

Offline Solar78

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
Rami Air 70 Trans Am with a 4 speed for 21K?

As Barrett Jackson would say "WELL BOUGHT" hahaha

That car sounds nice.... I can tell ya the 73's I have seen around with matching numbers in driver condition have all been anywhere from 20K-25K.. most were automatics....
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:49:50 PM »
With the current soft Market 15 to 17 thousand

Offline S76GUY

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »
OK
Here's a little help.

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Id like to see a decent shot of the paintwork, was it done recently? There seems to be alot of overspray on the car.
How much is it up for?
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )