Author Topic: Question about Hood Bird Decals  (Read 7670 times)

Offline LeighP

Question about Hood Bird Decals
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:07:36 AM »
OK....heres a question I've asked a few times but have yet to find a definitive answer to.....needs answers from people who've applied these decals.....
The 73-78 hoodbirds usually have clear panels in the outer "flames" that allow the body colour paint to show through.
That said, I've seen some decals (that seem to be for black cars) that have black as a background colour in the outer "flame" panels of the decal....the same sort of black as is used on the "bird" part of the decal.
So....heres the question....Do the PG decals used on both regular and SE Starlight black cars (we're talking two different decals here) have both the bird and flame areas filled in black....or just the bird is black and the outer flames clear....or are the bird and flames clear letting the body colour black show through?
Many thanks for any info here.
Regards,
Leigh
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:12:38 AM »
Not sure about the PG hood decal.  But originally from the factory the bird area was black while the wing area was clear
John Witzke

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
I was told in the TAC hoodbird thread that my brown '78's bird was from a black car or the same type as used on the black cars (I know it was original to mine). As you can see it didn't have any clear areas but black in the wings, between the feathers and also in the body. They also pointed out a red car that had a new looking bird like it. I do not know where he got his or if it is still original or not.

The "Phoenix" has a very similar bird. Although I know it is [not] original since the car was originally gold.

Larry

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
Are you the original owner?
John Witzke

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:41:39 AM »
Yes, there are two different decal sets from PG.  There is the gold/black decals which are for black cars and have black in the center of the bird and black on the wings linke show in the photo above.  And then they have the gold/clear decals which are black in the center and clear on the outside to let the body color show through.  Like this:

So, if you have a black Trans Am, then you need the gold/black kit, and if you have any other color Trans Am, then you need the gold/clear kit.

Now I guess to really read your question right, you are asking if the gold/black bird is the same as the gold Special Edition bird used on the Special Edition cars.  No, the decals are different, but your question about the wings being filled in is YES they are the same.  The gold/black kit for black Trans Ams has the wings filled in as does the matte gold Y82/Y84 Special Edition hood bird for SE cars.

Here is the gold/black non-SE hood bird not applied:

Notice the wings are filled in with black

Here is the matte gold Y82/Y84 SE hood bird not applied:

Again, the wings are filled in.  Hopes this answers your question.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 09:56:24 AM »
Brett,

I think you meant to say black special edition as the gold SE cars used a completely different hoodbird style later used for all 1979 model year
John Witzke

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:09:42 AM »
John,

Did you have your coffee this morning?  I don't understand what you mean.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline TA462

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 12:58:51 PM »
What John said was that picture you show of the gold T/A has a Black T/A hood bird on it, not the bigger 79 style that was used on all the 78 GOLD cars.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
I don't see a Gold T/A. I see a gold bird for an SE laying on a table or piece of cardboard.
Larry

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »
That is why I was confused.... I did not see a Gold TA either.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline TA462

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
Quote from: "SirLDragon"
I don't see a Gold T/A. I see a gold bird for an SE laying on a table or piece of cardboard.

OK, the picture that says "Here is the Gold SE hood bird not applied" is not the right bird or anything else for that matter for any 78 Gold cars.  The cardboard or table or whatever it is on at a quick glance looks like its gold, sorry for the confusion. :roll:

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 01:47:56 PM »
Brett from your post...."The gold/black kit for black Trans Ams has the wings filled in as does the Gold Special Edition hood bird for SE cars".

I must have misread, thought you were refering to the gold special edition hood decal....sorry.

Gold/yellow orange for base black cars and matte gold/gold for Y84 and Y82 cars
John Witzke

Offline TA462

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »
LOL, now I feel like an IDIOT.  I totally misread what you posted, sorry.  I thought you posted that the .............oh never mind.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »
There, I edited my post .... sorry for the confusion.  The "Gold" in front of the description was describing the color of the hood bird itself, not what car it went on.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline TA462

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »
I've had a few beers today, that might explain the way I read things. :wink: