Author Topic: Power window relay help  (Read 7386 times)

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Re: Power window relay help
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 10:32:35 PM »
Well, the fuse is a fuse and the breaker is a breaker meaning that you can use a fuse but if it blows, you're SOL until you replace the fuse. If you use a breaker, you just wait a minute and try again. If you are going to use a breaker, I'd suggest getting a new one as the contacts can get pitted which causes resistance which in turn causes a voltage loss as well as reduced current flow.
Randy

Offline ang

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 12:32:48 AM »
excellent THANK YOU !!!!

Offline 78ta

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 12:42:23 AM »
You're welcome.
Randy

Offline rhino33

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
I couldn`t get mine to work until I worked the plug on the relay, it works now but it seems really lagging in voltage and my grounds are good

Offline 78ta

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
Lagging in voltage? Do you mean that the windows seem like they don't have enough voltage because they're slow or did you actually check the voltage at the out put of the relay? The contacts of the relay are a known source of resistance and voltage loss.

Which grounds are you referring to and how do you know they are good? The window motors use the door hinges as their ground path.

Besides poor grounds, sticky window tracks can cause slow windows. The grease on the regulators hardens over time which will add friction in the regulators instead of reducing it. You also want to make sure no plastic rollers are broken or missing on the regulators.
Badly pitted contacts in the power window switch can cause slow windows. Every time you raise or lower your window, you cause a small arc at the contacts of the window switch. This arc leaves carbon on the contacts and tiny pits in the metal of the contacts. Over time, the carbon and pitting will build up causing resistance and poor continuity in the connection between the switch contacts. Electrical resistance in the circuit slows current flow and can cause voltage drops. Hence, slow windows.
Randy