Author Topic: Turbo hood lights help. I'm new, HI Everyone  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Generalmopars

Turbo hood lights help. I'm new, HI Everyone
« on: February 08, 2018, 03:14:02 PM »
Hello there. I've got an 81 pace car with a 71 455 out of a GTO. I can't answer too many details because I bought the car this way. What I do know is it has headers, a performer intake, some sort of cam (slightly choppy) and an edelbrock carburetor that is going to be replaced with a good quadrajet, 400 trans and 373 gears.

Ok let me cut to the chase, I want my turbo lights to work on the hood. I'm not exactly sure how they worked from the factory but I'm sure there has to be a simple solution to get them to light up at different levels of vacuum loss. I'm open to any suggestions that you guys may have. My thought was to hard wire light #1 to the ignition switch but after that I'm stuck. Does anyone know if an adjustable vacuum switch can be used kind of like a transmission modulator? I'm stuck on this idea and I really want my lights to function. Please help. Marty.

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
Re: Turbo hood lights help. I'm new, HI Everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »
Hi.  The original 301t lights were controlled by pressure solenoids & would come on as more boost was made, the 1st light was always on with the ignition, the 2nd at 3-4psi & the 3rd at 5-6 or above.

Since you no longer have the turbo, you would need to figure out a way to have them light up either with a vac type solenoid, which im not sure there is an progressive solenoid like a trans vac modulator that would send 3 different electric signals to the lights.  or rig up something on the throttle linkage to send a signal to the lights.  Either way will be somewhat complicated but im sure there is something out there that may work with some planning & modification.  Or just find a correct 301t to put back in it!  ;)  Yes i know most willl laugh at that but for a somewhat rare pace car its more valuable to have the correct engine... but of course the 455 will be faster. 
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Turbo hood lights help. I'm new, HI Everyone
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:41:14 AM »
I'm not sure working boost gauges on a non-turbo car are a redeeming feature either.