Author Topic: fixed parkers and signals...lost brake lights!(UPDATE) (and a new question)  (Read 529 times)

Offline deadfish

I found the short that kept my brake lights and hazards from working. Although I had already pulled, checked, and replaced the fuse twice...it was not making good contact. I'll have to pull the fusebox and recondition it. I found it kind of by accident while trying to remove the fuse with a small screw driver (my puller won't fit this fuse box). I was just working one end so as not to break the glass , and I got a small spark between the clip and the end of the fuse. The other two times I pulled it, I had disconnected the battery..this time I didn't so the problem was obvious. I pushed it around a little and "poof"...Hazards and stop lights work!
I still don't have my dome light working yet though. I think I'll just replace the harness in the roof..solid wire breaks too easy. At least it will take that 30 year old piece out of the equation.

Question: Does anyone know where I can find the junction where all the white grounds come together? I'ld bet that's where my lost ground is. Most of my "hot wire" problems have been at those big splices.The schematic shows it at the end of the mid harness but I don't feel it in there, and before I hack open the casing, I thought I'ld ask. (1979...no tee tops).

Rick C
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:42:39 AM by deadfish »

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
Re: fixed parkers and signals...lost brake lights!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:54:03 AM »
FWIW, have heard the dome light has ground issues
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff