Author Topic: My 1989 Trans Am  (Read 3340 times)

Offline 1989GTA

• Saved from the scrapper
My 1989 Trans Am
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:03:27 PM »
I was looking for an extended project to toy around with for the next year or two.  So, I just started putting a little money back every week to get funds together.  I had no idea what I wanted.  Then it came to me... nothing was available.  So, I went to try to find an early nineties S-10 Blazer to drive to college this fall.  I was looking at a local salvage yard and found a very nice blazer with a blown engine.  I asked about it and found out that it had no title.  So, crushed, I began to wander the junkyard to see about finding something else.  Well, I found it.  It was sitting between an older ford diesel pickup and a chevy astro van.  It was a gen 3 firebird.  I went and asked the owner about it and he told me that it belonged to his son in law and gave me his phone number.  So, I called the guy and he told me that it had no motor or trans, but that he would let it go for $600.00.  I nearly wet myself :-[.  I asked him when he wanted the money.  We met up and I paid for the car and got the title.  I asked the owner if he had the driveline for the car.  I could not afford to buy one.  He said that he did.  Then he asked if I had a motor arranged yet(word gets around as to how fast I could get a motor, I had 5 350 engines and one pontiac 350 from a 78 or 79 TA).  I told him that I was still looking for a 305(heard about the chassis issues of T-tops and a 350).  He told me to stop looking.  He said that since I paid cash, I could have all of the parts he had for the car as well.  He had the original 305 engine, driveline, all of the wiring and computer, and one item in particular... the TPI system.  The engine is the 305 HO(according to online VIN decoding).  I was unable to afford to finish rebuilding the TPI engine, so I took a 305 that I bought from a friend from a 1992 truck and put the TPI stuff on it.  It and the 700r4 from the 1992 truck are bolted into the car now.  All I have to do is hook up the accessories(anyone have a vaccuum diagram? and make a bracket to make the torque arem work with this trans.  I will get some pics added soon.
For the $600, I could not allow it to go to the crusher.  It just caught my eye.

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
Re: My 1989 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »
Man sounds like you got a whale of a deal !!!
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline 1989GTA

• Saved from the scrapper
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:05:41 AM »
I think I did okay.  I have to get a longer tv cable for the trans and make cooling lines, but other than that, its going pretty smooth.  btw, the pic of my avatar is my trans am.
For the $600, I could not allow it to go to the crusher.  It just caught my eye.

Offline mastiso77

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:55:17 AM »
I believe the 305 HO came with a roller cam instead of a flat tappet. Just thought you would like to know. Make sure you adjust the cable before your first test ride.
77 W72 TA
66 IMPALA SS 327
87 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME
92 GMC 1500 383