Author Topic: Windshield nozzle mount location on 81 TA  (Read 765 times)

Offline Transam87020

Windshield nozzle mount location on 81 TA
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:42:09 AM »
I picked up a set of windshield wash squirters from a friend a while back as someone had taken all the windshield
wash equipment off my car previously.  I have a new motor/pump and washer bottle but am not sure where the
nozzles mount. Have come to the conclusion they should mount onto the rear of the hood but cant seem to find
the exact location.  The nozzle has a bolt tab which looks as though it should fit in a hole but nothing seems to
match on the hood. I find 2 bolt locations that will mount up the nozzle but their isn't a hole for the tab to pop into.
Checked Classic industries and the nozzles I have seem to be correct for my 81.  Any help or pics would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Windshield nozzle mount location on 81 TA
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:47:59 AM »
Here's the back of an '80 turbo hood with nozzles mounted

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »
I think the nozzle needs a little bracket.  The bracket screws into the hood and holds the nozzle.  I found my nozzle joining two vacuum hoses on my Y88.  It was a lucky find because I noticed that nozzle missing before I found it connecting the vacuum lines.  I was also lucky to realize that the little metal joiner was indeed the missing nozzle.

Offline Transam87020

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »
Does a fender nut type of piece fit in the square hole in the hood ?  I have a hole where a sheet metal screw would go into the hood. Looks
like there would be a place for the tab to lock in to keep it from moving. There is a square hole in the hood next to the screw hole, not sure
if that is where the hose comes through though. Where do the hoses drop out of the hood to connect to the pump ? I see where the 2
hoses go into but can't see where they drop out.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
These small metal clips plug into the holes in the hood, the nozzles screw into these which in turn also spread and lock. Make sure you screws aren't too long either or you'll end up with a dimple in your hood.

Also, if sourcing new or used make sure you get the flat style nozzles for 77-81 firebirds, the typical one sold which bends down is for 70-76 Firebird and all Camaro, as they shoot through the hood wiper grille, not the far edge, and would foul the cowl if you tried to close the hood!

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
These small metal clips plug into the holes in the hood, the nozzles screw into these which in turn also spread and lock. Make sure you screws aren't too long either or you'll end up with a dimple in your hood.

Also, if sourcing new or used make sure you get the flat style nozzles for 77-81 firebirds, the typical one sold which bends down is for 70-76 Firebird and all Camaro, as they shoot through the hood wiper grille, not the far edge, and would foul the cowl if you tried to close the hood!

Thanks for the heads up.  I have been scratching my head as to why the new ones I have wont fit correctly and dont look like the ones in the first picture.  Now I have to get new ones I guess. Anyone have a spare set and the clips too?
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."