Author Topic: Advice on 200 4R overdrive transmission  (Read 2102 times)

Offline hugginjugs

Advice on 200 4R overdrive transmission
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:09:10 PM »
Back in February I ordered a complete overdrive conversion from Monster Transmission. I received it in May. Finally got it installed in the car mid June. I've been attempting to make it work right ever since. At this point I have countless hours trying to adjust the TV cable. No matter what adjustment I make the transmission does not work right. The transmission is one huge expensive disappointment. As is Monsters so called WOWanty! Anyway, I didn't start this to do a Monster transmission bash session. Had I done my homework I wouldn't be in this situation. I'm done with Monster! I have decided to pull the trans and send it to a pro. I'm asking for suggestions on who would be recommended.
Thanks

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Advice on 200 4R overdrive transmission
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:38:37 AM »
What carb and TV setup do you have? Have you tried the setup using pressure equipment or just move cable and test drive? What is it doing wrong that you need the next guys to correct?

Offline hugginjugs

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
Quadrajet on an Edelbrock performer. I'm using the old kickdown cable bracket to hold the TV cable on a custom mount. The cable is level and straight with the stock throttle lever. The bracketry that Monster gave me for the cable was a joke! I had a local transmission shop try adjusting the cable also. Same results. Adjusting as recommended results in stack shifting. Tightening the cable one click at a time changes little until a point where the shift slams into the next gear. At that point the trans will not return to first gear, taking off in second. Also, the external lockup feature that they installed does not work. 12 volts and a ground through a provided lighted switch blows the 10amp fuse as soon as overdrive engages. This unit was supposed to be fully tested before shipping. I call BS! I have been uable to speak to a tech at Monster Transmission. I was informed that no one will speak with me until I sign an "Order Verification" document that they emailed me.It simply outlines the things they wont cover. WOWenty! I have no confidence that this unit will hold up in the long term even if it can be made to shift properly. As I stated, I'm done with Monster. I'm looking for a professional that some one has had good results with. There are quite a few 200 4R "experts" to choose from.  :-\

Thanks

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
Where are you from? The guy in my area is Vince Janis  http://janistransmission.com   He is the go to guy for all of the Turbo Regal guys in Ohio. The one I put in my 78 is going on 12 years ago, is working great according to the new owners.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline hugginjugs

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
Thanks. This is what I'm looking for. I'm in Central Indiana. I'll give them a call and see if they can help me.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 03:17:28 AM »
lol...I know of a great place to bring in my hometown but Northern Ontario Canada is a bit of a drive for you, just to get your tranny fixed. Let us know how you make out.
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 03:20:31 AM »
Canada is quite local if you have to ship a transmission around the world.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 02:54:12 AM »
Canada is quite local if you have to ship a transmission around the world.

HMMM...good point sir
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:02:55 AM »
I'm obv just stirring, but so many on these things seem to think the options run out once the part can't be sourced or fixed from within the local towns around them.