Author Topic: turn signal switch....  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Re: turn signal switch....
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
Did you say you have a 78? I think that was a transition year, so it is possible you have a 79 column, the assembly line would have switched as soon as they ran out of the older design columns. They would have most likely left the dimmer on the floor for that year so they didn't have to print a new owners manual explaining the dimmer.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »
I may have misunderstood his question. I see the original question was about changing the switch, and I was thinking he just needed to replace his lever.  I was also "assuming" he had a tilt, since he really didn't say.

If you're "switch" is really broken, there isn't any difference in the turn signal switch whether it has cruise or no cruise. You got me curious so I looked up the part number of the switch. The turn signal switch is the same from at least 76-81. So, I looked at one of my 79-81 columns, and took a look at the switch. The provision is there for the screw-on lever, even on the 79-81 switch. BUT, because of the box on the side of the column, the positioning of the screw-on lever would not work with it. So, with that column, you will still need the push-in lever.
Steve F.

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
thanks guys! it looks like i have to find a push in plain  blinker switch... thanks again!

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 03:14:48 PM »
You mean "lever"? :)
Steve F.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »
I believe the actual switch inside the steering column works for both pre and post columns. Where the simple lever screws on in a 79+ column there's a special designed lever that pivots with a plastic sleeve that works with the dimmer switch. So it is possible to use the older lever if you yank all that out, but I don't think the plastic casting that fits around the steering column will allow the older style lever enough room to move up/down. The box as mentioned before that holds the dimmer pivot lever is what is the problem.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »
i wonder if a pre79 casing will work on this column? did all 79-81 have cruise control levers??

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
i wonder if a pre79 casing will work on this column?
Not likely, but if you found a 78 column for parts, might as well put in the whole 78 column, rather than use it for parts.

did all 79-81 have cruise control levers??
No, did you see the picture of a non-cruise lever that I put up earlier in this thread? :)
Steve F.

Offline gilbertsta

Re: Re: turn signal switch....
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »

[/quote] No, did you see the picture of a non-cruise lever that I put up earlier in this thread? :)
[/quote] sorry i did see it..just didnt remember.... i think i found the same one, but better shape
..they are asking $20 bucks. i think that is a good price for a used one?

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »
That's a steal at $20, I've seen them sell on eBay for over $100, I suspect because no one has ever reproduced them.

Offline gilbertsta

Re: Re: turn signal switch....
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
That's a steal at $20, I've seen them sell on eBay for over $100, I suspect because no one has ever reproduced them.
yeah but bad news for me.. i just took my steering wheel off looked inside and my swivel bracket is broke. this is the part the push pin lever fits in. so i am just going to modify what i have and put a stock screw type in. after looking at it, i think its do able.. i dont think i would have much luck to find a new swivel bracket. this will hold me over until i can collect the right parts.... thank you guys for all your help. i have a clear picture of what i need for this. i want to replace the whole blinker switch also.. do you happen to have any ideas on how i get the pin plug through the column......?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
turn signal switch....
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »
Just put in a new 20$ turn signal switch instead of rigging it
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
my rigged solution......