Author Topic: Winter car storage question  (Read 2411 times)

Offline TAvsGN

Winter car storage question
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »
I'm starting to put my cars away for the winter.  Trying to avoid Mickey Mouse setting up Disney World in my cars.  Anyone have any advice on deterents?  I've heard that dryer sheets do and don't work, same with moth balls.  Also heard about peppermint oil and Irish Sping soap.  I'm also setting up traps around the perimeter of garage, and maybe poison pellets by garage doors, away from the cars.  I'm waging war since I found acorns in the air cleaner housing of my Formula last spring.  Only other thing I was going to do was stuff rags in air intakes and exhaust tailpipes.
78 Formula
98 Trans Am
77 Grand Prix SJ
87 Grand National

The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Winter car storage question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »
Instead of rags, I'd suggest coarse brass wool.  Rodents won't chew at it like they will rags, which make nesting material for them.

Offline OzTambo

• Assistant Night Janitor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:54:38 AM »
What is this wintering you guys are talking about...

I live in San Diego.... it is the same every friggin day.... there are those 12 days a year that it rains but I do not go outside those days...

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:15 AM »
My winterizing (when I lived a little further north) consisted of the following:

1.   Either drain or top off the fuel tank ( topping it off was the prefered choice since you could go out on fairly decsnt days and start it up and let it run for 20 minutes or so)
2.   Support the car on stands at four corners of suspension and another one at center point (this prevents flat spots on the tires, if tires removed it also prevents suspension settling)
3.   All other fluids topped off as well, oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze, etc (helps making spring unveiling easier)
4.   Either remove battery and place on a shelf or hook up a maintenance charger.
5.   As for vermin deturing... a few traps in the trunk and under the hood never hurt ( just remembre to keep an eye on them periodically for trapped mice). I also add a aluminum pie pan of charcoal brickettes to absorbmoisture and foul oders that may have been missed during a cleaning.
6.   A dust cover, I do not suggest putting one on a car that is not under a shelter or garage. Even the slightest gusts of wind moves the cover and it will act like 2000 grit sand paper on your finish.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:16:04 AM by rarebird »
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 09:57:36 AM »
Just bring them to my house , I'll keep the little guys out .  Got a gun ,shoot them , or get a cat and don't feed it . He'll find them  . But you could have the wife sit out there while she's not keeping your underware clean  .   HAHAHAHAHA

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
Winter is about 62 on average down here.  If we hit 32 overnight, people bring the plants and cats inside ... and they run the banner down at the bottom to let you know it'll freeze.
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline ta collector

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:09:38 AM »
i use fabic sheets in all mine,and have never had any mice make there home in my birds,but i have a pretty tight building and alot of cats running around the place with i think helps also.
1967 firebird
1976 Trans Am 50th Anniversary
1979 TATA
1991 Trans Am GTA
2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #1358
2008 G8 GT
1972 Chevy C/10

Offline rtpassini

• Help the NOOB!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 12:04:56 PM »
i use dryer sheets and dcon(not inside, just around the outside) rags in tailpipes

ive used this method from storage units to inside of barns. havent had a problem.

stabil in gas, battery out or disconnected. thats usually it.
1980 Trans Am Bullnose. '67 400
New to domestics and muscle. Trying to sort out the previous owners stupidity

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »
I live in memphis, tn. We dont have to 'prepare' for winter.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline UJSLOST

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
We drive em all year long here!   But sounds like some good tips were posted.  Especially like putting the car up on stands. Come spring time its already up in the air and you can change you fluids for spring easier. I guess if you wanted to you could start the car and run it thru the gears while up on jack stands (disclaimer: Im not responsible if you do and something happens)!
1979 Trans Am 301/350 w/ 2.73 posi  Silver on Red
1997 Mustang Gt Convertible Triple Black w/ 4.10s

Offline rtpassini

• Help the NOOB!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
while im not saying its a bad idea, i have never noticed any "flat spots" on any of my tires. everything from 215/40/17 tires to soft race rubber for my motorcycle.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 08:49:28 PM »
We drive em all year long here!   But sounds like some good tips were posted.  Especially like putting the car up on stands. Come spring time its already up in the air and you can change you fluids for spring easier. I guess if you wanted to you could start the car and run it thru the gears while up on jack stands (disclaimer: Im not responsible if you do and something happens)!

Yeah it hardly gets really cold here at all. Thank goodness for that.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline UJSLOST

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »
while im not saying its a bad idea, i have never noticed any "flat spots" on any of my tires. everything from 215/40/17 tires to soft race rubber for my motorcycle.

It happens.  Might not happen over winter, but it does happen.
1979 Trans Am 301/350 w/ 2.73 posi  Silver on Red
1997 Mustang Gt Convertible Triple Black w/ 4.10s

Offline rtpassini

• Help the NOOB!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »

It happens.  Might not happen over winter, but it does happen.

i agree. thats why i said its not a bad idea.

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »
I've had it happen on my truck sitting outside on a really cold night, but once you go down the road and heat up the tires they go back to round.  Now the old bias-ply tires, on the other hand, were terrible about flat-spotting.  Radials take sitting a lot better than bias tires did.