Author Topic: Nitrogen V.S. Air Filled Tires  (Read 4536 times)

Hammer

Nitrogen V.S. Air Filled Tires
« on: December 31, 2006, 02:48:08 AM »
It's no secret that Nitrogen filled tires expand less with heat than air filled tires. Racers have been doing this for years. But is it really worth filling and maintaining Nitrogen filled tires v.s. air?  I am interested to hear your opinions?

You should know that many gas stations that offer an air compressors to fill your tires lacks a dryer to keep moisture from getting into your rims & tires.  Just spray some air out on your hand from one of these units sometime and see how much moisture winds up on your hands.  You'ld be amazed.  Thought you should know.

Hammer

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 01:34:45 PM »
You can also use Helium..... the car will be higher pitched, but it works.

Or maybe Nitrous Oxide....... doesn't work that well, but you'll have one hell of a laugh.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:55:36 PM »
Hammer, I used to have a friend who worked in the gas supply business for years and years.  He always filled his tires with nitrogen -- but then, if you had access to free tanks I suppose you would.

But you are correct about the lack of air dryers at the gas stations.  I've seen those hoses freeze up in cold weather as the moisture turned to ice in the lines.  I have a dryer on the compressor in my garage and I cart around an air tank filled from that source with me in the back of my 02 Avalanche.

Offline LeighP

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:48:43 AM »
Aircraft have used nitrogen filling for years...but thats based on two reasons...primarily for safety - wheel and brake fires are less likely to cause explosions if the presurised gas in the tyre is inert, and theres also the corrosion control aspect with alloy wheels - again inert gas helps here.
If I was racing maybe I'd consider it for the reasons of less change of pressure across large temperature variations, but on the street its hardly worth the effort......I fill my tyres from my home compressor with a water trap on it....works for me.
Regards,
Leigh
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455

Offline TA462

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 12:39:23 PM »
I just bought some Michelin Hydro Edge tires for my wifes Alero and the tire place put Nitrogen in instead of air, for free.  I got free top ups if needed but they told me I will probably never have to add any for years, they even check your tire pressure for you when ever you want, for free.  I don't notice anything different in how the car handles.  

Its true about the moisture that gets pumped into your tires at gas stations, your better off with buying a cheap pump that plugs into your cig lighter and buying a good gauge.