Author Topic: I'm screwed  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Smeezor

I'm screwed
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:12:14 AM »
Well, after working on my 78 trans am for several months, I've basically come to the conclusion that it's game over.  I was too much of a noob to know that the "custom" vehicle I bought was really just a bastard car.  It's got the wrong rear quarters and the wrong rear bumper and the wrong tail lights.  The only place I could get replacement quarters from is from some stingy a** local guy who wants 1100 for them, and even if i did buy those / get some off another car, I wouldn't have the skill to put them on (although the tools would be around)  I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology, but he like sliced along the blue lines.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Smeezor/DSCN1215Largebastard.jpg
with the one down the trunk representing under the trunk lid
He just overlapped the metal and did some crappy welds.

What I really wanted to do was make a car true to the original, and now that I'm a bit wiser, I'm absolutely sure i can't make that happen with this car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Smeezor/DSCN1215Large.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Smeezor/DSCN1213Large.jpg
are some pics of the car before I started work, the hood is ready to be painted and the front fenders / facia are 90% ready for paint

I'm down to 2 options, I've got a good engine and transmission, so I could try to find another trans am and transplant the engine / tranny and use the pieces I've been working on, or give up and work on my dad's square volkswagen squareback.

I don't know what the hell to do, not really sure who to ask, or what is possible, thought I might as well post here!
I'm pretty disheartened
gah

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
I'm screwed
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:26:39 AM »
Smeezor, dont give up so easy, it doesnt look that bad, at least from the pics.
I am sure you could find quarters cheaper.
What you have is a challenge, take a break for a bit and cool off, then come back with a fresh look at the situation.

Just my opinion, but I bet we all have been in your seat at one time with our cars "S*%t what have I gotten myself into, maybe I should just give up".
It may take longer and cost a bit more than planned but in the end it will be worth it.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline TRAN5AM

I'm screwed
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 09:19:51 AM »
Most people that name their cars give them feminine names. Me on the other hand, named mine Frank. That's short for Frankenstein. It's made from bits and pieces of well over a dozen junk cars.
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
I'm screwed
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 12:14:35 PM »
Sometimes you just have to know when to throw in the towel.

Now, I am not saying to give up.  What I am saying is take a look at what you have and what it is going to take to get it to where you want it to be.  Also, you have to look at what you are trying to save and what you have to begin with.  If you have a Trans Am that is the run of the mill and one of 40,000 made that year, then is it worth doing that.  Or, do you have one of 500 made with the options your car has.  Also, what are you trying to have in the end?  Are you trying to have a 100% original car, or are you making a Trans Am that will be yours no matter what it is.  So, you really have to look lonmg and hard at your starting and stopping points to see if it is going to be worth it to YOU.  Don't let ANYONE else tell you if a car is worth it or not.  The car is Yours so you have to ask yourself if it is worth it to YOU.

Now I do not know how much you bought the car for and how much you have into it so far, but there are alot of cars out there on the market and you have to determine where you want to be and what you want to have and spend.  For example, I have two cars right now that would be good projects (kinda).  One is a 1979 Trans Am, blue on blue with 60,000 original miles.  It needs some paint work and some other cosmetic stuff, but it is a good car.  The guy is asking $8,000 for it.  The second one I have is a 1978 Y88 400 4-speed car that also needs work and that guy is asking about $5,000 for the car.  So just to use those two cars as an example, you could have a 1979 for $8,000 and spend maybe $4,000 in cosmetic and paint work and have $12,000 when you are done.  Or you could have a 1978 Y88 for $5,000 and spend $12,000 in work and have $17,000 into a Y88 Special Edition 400 4-speed car.  Or, you can keep your car that you have now for $??? and spend $??? into fixing it up to get where you want to be.

Now these are just some examples of things to consider.  So, I am not telling you to give up, nor am I telling you to proceed with your current car.  What I am telling you to do is look hard at what you are starting with and decide where you want to be in the end.  Figure out all the costs and ask yourself.... "Is this worth it to ME?"

Sorry for the long rant, but that was my two cents worth.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
I'm screwed
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 07:33:18 PM »
Is it meant to be a 78 or 79 TA, or maybe that's what the problem is. On the upside your rear fuel filler door is complete and closes for a 79!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
I'm screwed
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »
Unless this is a rare car, I would tend to sell it off and cut my loss.  You'll end up paying far too much to correct the problems.  Find yourself a nice clean, rust free car to restore.  You'll be money ahead.

Or, you could keep it and not try to restore it.  Use it to tinker and learn from.  When you've gotten comfortible working on it, buy yourself a nice one to restore.  But, I wouldn't put any money into this one.

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
I'm screwed
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:36:23 PM »
I know how you feel. I've only had my Firebird for a little over a month, and the more I discover what the car needs, the more I get depressed thinking about it!

I often wonder if I did the right thing, especially since I have little to no money to put into the car, nor will I have the time or money in the forseeable future (i've only started it three times since I got it home, and I still don't have the $$$ to register it!), and the money could have certainly gone to other things for the family. I think i'm going to end up selling it and putting the money to other uses.
Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
I'm screwed
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:13:47 PM »
CT, that looks like a solid enough car, but I know how you feel, but I also know how I felt a few years after I sold my 79 back in 83 so I could afford an engagement ring, it took 23 yrs but I got another 79 and I'm not letting this one slip away!
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline Smeezor

I'm screwed
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 01:13:24 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, I've made a decision thus far, and I'm going to continue forging ahead.  I'd kick myself in the a** if I sold it and lost most of my investment (which i'm pretty sure is what would happen) and it's not getting any better sitting around thinking about what to do.  I've got a good engine and a good transmission, which I think is the most imortant part since I don't have the skills to work on either one.  
I tell people not to start s#^* they can't finish, so as long as I can finish this, I'd better  :)
I may not get exactly what I wanted, but I'm learning something new every day, and I'll be able to put that knowledge to use when I get something that I can turn into my dream car.

Offline steve18in78

Lost cause?
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 01:24:30 AM »
Dude---chill.  I found my self in the same posit, and here's what I did...bought another better one.  Total invest both cars $2100.  Got real lucky, the seller #2 didn't know what he had (W72/WS6/4-spd).  Which kinda balances out the fact that seller #1 took my a**, even if only for 6 bones.  I did at least go about it almost somewhat semi-right, building my shop first.  Get another car, cut the first one to pieces, keep everything you might ever possibly need to repair the better one either now or in the future or both (like me), sell the rest, junk the junk, and have fun.  Wrenching is fun--if you wrench the car and not your gut.  I think this is what you need to do, because I think you are like me--you really want this car, and whether you have a little or a lot invested to this point, you will SO enjoy driving your very own T/A (which is why you need spare parts, because if you drive it, it's gonna happen, and why build a trailer queen, cars were made to drive).  And Hitman, your pages, info, and advice are excellent.
quot;Hang on to your a**, Fred"