Author Topic: Electrical Gremlin help  (Read 521 times)

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Electrical Gremlin help
« on: October 19, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »
Ok guys, down to the point of electrical, everything is wired up, I have power to the headlights, but when I go to turn the key, nothing... dont have tailights wither, no brake lights, no marker lights, volt gauge only starts to try and read when the key is in the start position..... any ideas ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
Re: Electrical Gremlin help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »
Clean grounds  ?

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Electrical Gremlin help
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »
Well, you've got power to the headlight switch if your headlights go on.  That should power the side marker lights and parking lights.  Which also should allow the blinkers to work.  The brown wire controls the side marker lights and the tail lights.  Check for power at the bulkhead connector CT.  That powers the front.  There is a double brown wire at the fuse box.  One of the wires goes to the connector on the steering column.  One is the feed from the headlight switch, and the other travels in the harness down the drivers side of the car to the trunk.  You could also check the power at the switch at the brown wire there....with the headlights on.

As far as no cranking power.  Check the easy stuff first, light the neutral start switch and the column position.

The headlights and the parking lights use the same ground, so I doubt that's it...in the front anyway.

It appears you might have more than one problem.  Don't discount a bad ignition switch either.  Those are kind of hard to diagnosis because those are under the dash and out of sight.