Author Topic: Phoenix Graphix why did you have to change  (Read 7920 times)

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
Re: Phoenix Graphix why did you have to change
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
If you have it stored in a clean, dry, relatively cool environment free of UV light you should be OK
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline Elz

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
My decal had been sitting for about 6 months inside my house in the packing container that it was shipped in. Is age a factor on this new stuff?Why wouldn't PG send instructions inside the kits with updated application info?
I did notice that one color was sticking to the top cover more than the another colors and when I did call PG they asked which color hood bird I was doing. I asked if they were having any issues with there product and of course he said no.
Maybe I'll find a company around here to make me a hood bird there are a lot of vinyl places here in So Cal.

Age is a factor with these graphics. The longer the adhesive of the transfer tape sits, the more it bites into the graphics. Kind of like when you have an older roll of masking tape, it gets harder to peel off the roll.

You mention a color coming off the graphic. This would lead me to believe that the graphic isn't laminated. I find that kind of hard to believe too since the guy told you to use lighter fluid on it. Did you get color coming off on your rag when you were doing this? I'm sure the original decals weren't laminated, but in this day and age it just makes sense, just like clear coat, it gives you an extra layer of protection. I would love to help you out and get you a graphic printed but I have stayed out of this since I don't have access to an original decal to match and all the different color configurations. Hope you get this resolved.

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
Elz, no they are not laminated.  I too wouldn't mind if they were but with todays inks that isn't always needed.  The vinyl printer I have access to is about 6' long and can run a continious roll of vinyl.  It heats up the substrate while it "prints".  This allows for deep penetration of the inks.  The inks themselves are also UV, gas, and oil resistant.  Before my buddy got that machine we would constantly laminate or clear the vinyl if it were to be used in extreme conditions.  Today, this isn't really needed.
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
The actual color wasn't coming off the decal it was just the glue from the cover sticking to one color more than the rest. At this point I'm thinking about getting a custom bird done. The car is a resto mod any way and not a stock build so I may play around a bit it illustrator with different styles if birds. Might as well put my degree in graphic design to work. I'm thinking of more of just an outline of a bird like on the 77 but with the 79 style bird.
So elz if it's not a stock bird would you be willing to print something up and how much?

Offline Elz

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
The actual color wasn't coming off the decal it was just the glue from the cover sticking to one color more than the rest. At this point I'm thinking about getting a custom bird done. The car is a resto mod any way and not a stock build so I may play around a bit it illustrator with different styles if birds. Might as well put my degree in graphic design to work. I'm thinking of more of just an outline of a bird like on the 77 but with the 79 style bird.
So elz if it's not a stock bird would you be willing to print something up and how much?

PM sent

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
The actual color wasn't coming off the decal it was just the glue from the cover sticking to one color more than the rest.......

On mine the color was actually sticking to the premask
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
Just got an email from PG. I sent them some pics and asked them several questions and made a few suggestions on product changes.
We'll see how they respond.
I checked the paper they are printing on and it's Avery Isn't that a cheaper product than a 3M product? I know Avery in Office Depot is a cheaper product than others.

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
..... it's Avery Isn't that a cheaper product than a 3M product? I know Avery in Office Depot is a cheaper product than others.

In a sense yes but Avery vinyl isn't that bad.  There are others out there.  The company that I use that airbrushes onto vinyl uses 3m.  The newer 3m stuff is the bomb.  It has tiny checkers stamped into the vinyl making it better and easier to move around when setting things up.  Once you press it into place and it cures out, the checker pattern disappears.
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1980 Indy Pace TA