Author Topic: About to take apart my new car and check everything out.... I need advice  (Read 666 times)

Offline PontiacPwr79TA

Alright, So I just got my 79 Camaro. I posted pics of it on a different thread. Anyways. Body looks pretty nice, barely any rust, needs a few things fixed here and there, but runs okay and brakes are fine.

My dad has finally convinced me to realize that it's getting too cold to drive the car, and it's time for me to put my ego aside and start going through the car to make sure I know everything about it.

This is what we did with my 79 Trans AM in April when I got it (ended up selling it, sadly, too rotted out and too many problems)

Anyways, what we are going to do is put it on jack stands, get all the spider webs out from under it because it was sitting in a garage for a year without moving, all that crap. Take off the wheels, check the brakes, lines,, clean the insides of the rims, etc

The other thing that is causing me to do this is because there is an electrical problem somewhere in the car. I started it yesterday, it sputtered out, and now the battery is not giving any power to the car (headlights dont turn on, no dummy lights) and I just put a new starter in a week ago... along with the fusible link.
Battery has power

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what to look for, or things I should do while the car is on jack stands? We just want to make sure the car is reliable and all (we have all winter) but I just wanted some advice from other guys, especially guys that have older Camaros or Trans AMs

My dad knows a LOT about cars, he's got a 68 GTO that he's had for 30 years, and he's done work on alot of cars.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading, and i'll appreciate any advice you guys would tell me.

Thanks ALOT!
Former 79 Trans AM owner.
I now own a 79 Camaro with a 350

AND an 88 Trans Am T tops 5 speed :)