Author Topic: Strange Close off panel found behind passenger kick panel?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline TA400FL

Strange Close off panel found behind passenger kick panel?
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »
Hello,
I found this small close off panel loose behind the passenger kick panel.  I have A/C in my 78 TA.  I have no idea how this is fastened since it does not appear to line up with any holes.  Any help with the assy of the passenger kick panel and vacuum actuator with A/C would be greatly appreciated.  I am not sure how the spring and everything goes back together.
Thanks!
ERIC

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Strange Close off panel found behind passenger kick panel?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 07:22:01 PM »
Looks like part of the vent flap in the cowl panel (under hood, passenger side)..may have fallen into the cowl and down into the kick panel area
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »
Hey.  I appreciate the help!  Had all my disassembly photos disappear from my phone so I am stuck on a lot of things.  Took things apart 3 years ago and really was relying on the photos when I was ready to put back together.  I do have a vent flap that has a small vacuum actuator on it that mounts in the cowl on the passenger side?  Is there another one?  I don't know if the body shop got something loose?
The way I found out was when I was vacuuming inside that cavity and it got stuck on the vac.  Otherwise, I would have never known it.
The odd thing is that I can't find any holes that match up.  Even looked with a mirror inside that cavity.  I only see the bolts from the door hinge.

I added a better photo maybe for you to see the shape and holes.
Thanks again!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
Just the sponge block off for recirculation. It screws under that cowl plastic mesh where the recirc door goes, stops most air flow in that direction.

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »
Perfect!  I will get it installed today when I put in the cowl flap and vac actuator.

Thanks so much for the help!
ERIC

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:07:22 AM »
Does anybody have a diagram on the actual position of this air diverter?  I put it into the far right cowl opening but can't figure out what direction it goes or what holes line up.  I guess it goes into position and then the vac actuator flap goes in?  Does it share the same mounting holes?

Thanks!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
Gimme 2 minutes.....it only goes one way, even has raised section to sit over it.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
14150 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
You really are awesome!  Thanks so much.  Would never have figured out the actual positioning. 

ERIC