Author Topic: 75 t/a  (Read 2961 times)

Offline trukstera

75 t/a
« on: September 04, 2006, 05:38:41 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum. I just bought a 75 t/a a couple weeks ago. I had a mechanic work on fixing little things. He told me about the tilt steering. If the wheel is tilted all the way up it won't start, but if it's down one notch it fires right up. He didn't fix that. Could it be pinching a wire? Also I had him to get the tail lights to all work. They were all working a couple of days ago but today the left rear lights won't blink, but the park lights work. Can this be in the steering colum too.
I was reading this forum and read something about a lever by the steering colum under the hood. When I shut the key off I can still shift the car out of park and into reverse and forward. I have alot more questions but for another time. I forgot the car has a pontiac 400 with an automatic. Please help.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
75 t/a
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 05:53:19 PM »
On the tilt/start problem:  I don't think a pinched wire could cause it.  When you turn the key, a rod pulls on the ignition switch.  The rod could be sticking, but I doubt you've got a wire issue.  To figure out for sure, it would be best to pull the column and look at it on your work bench....yeah, it's a little bit of a pain to do, but well worth the time.  You'll learn a ton doing it.

On the blinkers:  Try changing the bulbs.  

On the shifting issue:  Sounds like the reverse key out rod is missing.  It's located in the engine compartment just behind the valve cover on the drivers side....between the engine and the firewall.  It hooks to the lever coming from the steering column.

Offline trukstera

75 t/a
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »
thanks ta78w72. I tried switching bulbs from the other side and the same thing. I got another question. I had the rear brakes done because I thought they were dragging when I turned. It turned out the posi/limited slip rear end wasn't slipping. When I bought it I think it sat alot and the mechanic said it needs to be driven. He put that limited slip  additive in the rear end.
 the main reason buying the car was, I had a 80 firebird in high school with a 301 I wish I didn't sell it for 200 dollars three years ago. I would have a lot of extra parts.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
75 t/a
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 09:42:05 PM »
The car is over 30 years old.  You're going to have lots of stuff that needs to be fixed.  I don't think not being driven would be hard on the rear end.  I had a 78 that sat for years that had no problem with the posi.  My current 78 T/A has 72K on it so it hasn't been driven much.  Not driving the car is hard on the transmisson and air conditioner.  I also believe long periods in between starts causing engine wear....but others would disagree with me on that.

Try buying new bulbs for your blinkers.  You could also try measuring for voltage if you have a volt meter.