Author Topic: Trans am's on rims good and bad..  (Read 40514 times)

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
Re: Trans am's on rims good and bad..
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
i like the orange and black one
She's a Winner

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 04:56:47 PM »
I like different designs and like to look at many different setups. I think 18's look the best and will give some of the best results to compliment our cars and what they were built for. I mean they do carry the name of TRANS AM. My snowflakes took ok but slow the response of the vehicle down.  I like the new ZR1 wheels on our cars too. One of the members here had similar ones on his TA that got painted a pretty cool gold color. Don't remember the thread though.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Pacman

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 02:15:08 AM »
Yea I would love to see that.

Offline norwood

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
Ya, I'm not feel'n the 20"+ rims on the 2G's either.  I'm not a hater on big rims, just don't like them on these TA's.  IMHO, anything over 18's starts to take away from the sportiness of the 2G TA look.
Hey man I would like to see more pictures of your car! cause we have to same wheels and I love the way your 76 looks!

ALWAYS willing to share 76 pix!  ;D  Here ya go!

These are the MAX....anything bigger is just BIGGER not better.    These fit the car,  most of the others are cartoon like.
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline Pacman

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
Well I got the same wheels for my 73 T-A but 20's and there a little bit deeper. But yea I feel you Im just getting tired of the same old stuff.....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:52:48 PM by Pacman »

Offline firebird79_00

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 10:28:19 PM »
Yup i got the 338's, in black though

18x9.5 rear
18x8 front
1977 Firebird Clone
6.6L.....soon

Offline Pacman

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
My man! 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10.5 in the rear.

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
^Pics of 20s?  I have 18s for handling and road touring and the original 15" Snows for the purists and local car shows!  No pics on car bcuz its on rollers now.

Offline Pacman

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »
I dont got mine on the car cause Im getting mine ready for paint but here a picture of the rear.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
I'm liking the 18s as a max as I think your compromising the ride quality to much with these really tall wheels . I wish we had a thread on ride quality versus wheel size  where members could all post how they feel about how the ride comfort and handling changed before and after they did changes

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
I'm liking the 18s as a max as I think your compromising the ride quality to much with these really tall wheels . I wish we had a thread on ride quality versus wheel size  where members could all post how they feel about how the ride comfort and handling changed before and after they did changes

Too many variables. You would have to get the same car and the same driver to test all the different combinations out. Everyone has their own style. All depends on if you drive slow everywhere or accelerate heavily from a stop and turn tight turns or even if you set your car up for the track but only drive it in town or on the highway. I do think 18's up front and 20's in the back are complete max size. 18's all around probably looks the best. I would have to see 20's in the back to see for sure. But then you can't rotate your tires. All depends on what you're into.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Pacman

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
Yup Im not trying to build a hotrod out of my T-A something to ride around in and have fun and look good. Im just tired of everybody doing the same thing with trans am black and gold and on snowflakes.. its 2012 lets do something new!

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:13 AM »

Too many variables. You would have to get the same car and the same driver to test all the different combinations out. Everyone has their own style. All depends on if you drive slow everywhere or accelerate heavily from a stop and turn tight turns or even if you set your car up for the track but only drive it in town or on the highway. I do think 18's up front and 20's in the back are complete max size. 18's all around probably looks the best. I would have to see 20's in the back to see for sure. But then you can't rotate your tires. All depends on what you're into.

as long as you spec out the wheels correctly you can run bigger rims and have an almost identical ride quality... the only thing you will lose will be the sway you have on bigger sidewall tires.... my car with 20s on back and 18s on front rides great.... not harsh not soft... seems to ride just right...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 08:03:03 AM »
Seems they are not upgrading the brakes to accound for the bigger mass rolling down the road and getting it stopped.  Not to mention it seems many of these "custom" places just throw crap on the car to make it look good without paying attention to the detail.  I like different rims and such but these cars are just plain ugly.
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2011, 08:04:51 AM »
I like different designs and like to look at many different setups. I think 18's look the best and will give some of the best results to compliment our cars and what they were built for. I mean they do carry the name of TRANS AM. My snowflakes took ok but slow the response of the vehicle down.  I like the new ZR1 wheels on our cars too. One of the members here had similar ones on his TA that got painted a pretty cool gold color. Don't remember the thread though.

What do those wheels look like?
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress