Author Topic: Outlaw '78 TA project  (Read 2517 times)

Offline outlaw78

Outlaw '78 TA project
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
First time post now that my restoration is finally back in my hands (after 16 years). Started with a solid '81 Trans Am. WS6, T-Tops, mildly improved 305ci, T10 4 speed, 7" snowflakes. It was in need of paint, but was otherwise in good shape. And it was already bastardized, so I didn't feel bad about restoring it in my own vision. Perfect. Yes it will have a '78 front clip (thus the name), but I like the '81 tail lights better. Have to upload old pics. Had a digital camera, but that was pre-cell phone days.

Drove it a while, stripped it, and waited 6 long years for my turn at the body shop where the owner and his son (huge Pontiac guys) always keep a side project in the shop. Took them 5 years. Complete rotisserie body and paint work (2008 Porsche Night Race Blue). They finished right before my wife and I broke ground on a new house. oof. I did a lot of the interior work on the house followed by a few years of landscaping and other all the other little honey do's. Needed time to get the car kitty built up anyway.

So here I am in 2017. Things are finally under way. Put in a complete Chris Alliston Chassis Works chassis early this year (with the help of a buddy that has built numerous custom cars). Just set the Butler Performance 461 and Extreme Automatics 200-4R last weekend. What!? An automatic in a 4 speed car? Boooo! Yeah well, a bad knee can cause a 40-something to make different decisions than the 20-something that bought the car.

I have done a lot of wrenching in my life, but have not done anything on this scale. Look forward to sharing with everyone here through the project. Hopefully I will be able to offer help to others with what I learn. Lord knows I'll have questions.

Offline NOT A TA

Re: Outlaw '78 TA project
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
Very nice! Look forward to watching progress.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X