Author Topic: Y82....or Y81  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Rob

Y82....or Y81
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Hi Guys

I am in the middle of restoring my 77' T/A and am trying to find out a little more about her.  I have obtained the PHS report fo my car and it states it is an original Y82.  Grat news you may think.  Well it is, but it has confused me somewhat as my car has no hurst hatches.  So the question is....Is it a Y81? 

Can anyone tell me whether Y81 cars were shown on the dealer sheet as Y82 when ordered by the customer....?

Sadly I am yet to find the build sheet so I can't be sure what it is meant to be...?

Here is the link to my Flickr site that has pictures of the car when I found the car and also the PHS sheet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62906096@N02/sets/72157631292737690/

Thanks in advance. ;)
1999 Pontiac Trans Am LS1
1977 Pontiac Trans Am W72 Y82

Offline JupiterBandit

Re: Y82....or Y81
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Take off the A pilar trim covers and see if someone spliced a hard top roof on to it. If you find where they cut it then that should answer your question.

In 35 years some one was bound to get tired of a leaking roof.

My experience: I have a Y82 with a spliced on hard top.

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
I've got the A-Pillars exposed at the moment as I've just finished fitting a new cowl panel and windshield.  Here are some pics of the A-Pillars.  Do you think they have been altered at any time?  I don't really know what they should look like.  If it was done then it was some time ago as the car hasn't been on the road since '94.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62906096@N02/8131384873/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62906096@N02/8131380607/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62906096@N02/8131377913/in/photostream
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:32:21 PM by Rob »

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
I don't see any signs of a roof swap. On mine you can see clearly that it was swapped. Pull the AC box and check your VIN. There will be one on the firewall behing the Condenser

Offline Rob

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
I don't see any signs of a roof swap. On mine you can see clearly that it was swapped. Pull the AC box and check your VIN. There will be one on the firewall behing the Condenser

Do you suspect that something is wrong with the VIN I have then???

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »
I guess anything is possible.

If it were me and I've been in your shoes. I would check to make sure the PHS documents are real, not copies that someone could have swithced the VIN on the papers. Then I would pull of the AC box and check the VIN on the firewall to make sure it matches my dash VIN and title. If all of that passes then I would say you had someone who did a good job swapping out the ttops for a hardtop. I just picked up a Hurst install kit for mine. Came with the mounting hardware, ttop bag, owners brochure and install instructions. Best part is the frames and everything are black so they were intended for an SE to begin with.

I wish you best of luck and at least you know it's not uncommon for someone to swap out the roof

Offline Rob

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »

If it were me and I've been in your shoes. I would check to make sure the PHS documents are real, not copies that someone could have swithced the VIN on the papers. Then I would pull of the AC box and check the VIN on the firewall to make sure it matches my dash VIN and title. If all of that passes then I would say you had someone who did a good job swapping out the ttops for a hardtop. I just picked up a Hurst install kit for mine. Came with the mounting hardware, ttop bag, owners brochure and install instructions. Best part is the frames and everything are black so they were intended for an SE to begin with.

I wish you best of luck and at least you know it's not uncommon for someone to swap out the roof

I ordered the PHS documents myself direct.  So unless PHS are punting out fakes then I am assuming its real. 

I don't have the original title as I am in the UK and only have what we call the V5 registration document.  Obviously this is only issued using the details from when the vehicle was imported. 

I will endeavour to check the VIN on the firewall.  I must admit, I never knew there was one there.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
I wanna say, sometime during 77 that the cars that were supposed to be shipped to hurst, were not shipped? thus some cars getting stamped y82 instead of y81
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »
That's news to me. I have never heard or seen a car that was stamped Y82 instead of Y81. not that Eroc isn't corrrect. It's just the first time I've heard this.

I would think if I owned a dealership and paid an extra $1100 for a car with ttops and if it showed up as a hardtop I'd be pissed. You see it's the dealerships that order the cars.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:26:42 PM by JupiterBandit »

Offline EOD9339

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »

Do you suspect that something is wrong with the VIN I have then???

A lot of times when a car is stolen they find another car that’s maybe a junker but has a title. They’ll replace the VIN on the dash of the stolen car with the junker VIN. Most don’t know it’s there or will take the time to replace the VIN under the A/C box. So when you sent your VIN to PHS it was the VIN from the junk car. If the VIN under the A/C box doesn’t match the dash VIN you may have a stolen car. If they are different send the VIN under the A/C box to the police and they can tell you if the car was stolen.  Hopefully that’s not the case because if it is you’ll lose both the money you spent and car to the Police.   

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:12 AM »
Rob who sold you that car.  What state in the Us did it come from? 

Offline Rob

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »
Rob who sold you that car.  What state in the Us did it come from?

Its was registered in the UK in August 1979.  Was delivered new to Montaulk Pontiac in Bay Shore NY.

Offline Rob

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »

I ordered the PHS documents myself direct.  So unless PHS are punting out fakes then I am assuming its real. 

I don't have the original title as I am in the UK and only have what we call the V5 registration document.  Obviously this is only issued using the details from when the vehicle was imported. 

I will endeavour to check the VIN on the firewall.  I must admit, I never knew there was one there.

Many thanks for your help.

I have now removed the AC box from the bulkhead and the numbers match the VIN and the engine and the number on my UK registration.....

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:27:13 AM »
Now all you need to do is cut hurst tops in and you are in business