Author Topic: Considering buying a 1979 T/A, need some advice.  (Read 1583 times)

Offline barkau1004

Considering buying a 1979 T/A, need some advice.
« on: September 26, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
I am considering buying a 79 T/A but I have some concerns about the rear axle and would like some advice.  Not only is the back end of the car high and leaning, It also appears the rear driver side wheel is closer to the front side of the fender (toward  the door) and the passenger side rear wheel is closer to the rear side of the fender (toward the trunk).  Almost like the axle has tried to rotate.  The car has the WS6 option and the trunk and rear window fit seem to be good.   Please see pics. Has any one seen this?, what could cause it? and what needs to be done to correct it?

Second concern – The partial VIN is stamped on the block just below where the head meets the block on the passenger side.  It pretty much is follows the head /block split line.  Per Hitmans pictures, this is incorrect.  Has anyone seen the VIN stamped in this location?  The car is an original 400 / 4spd with a Z in the VIN and has PHS docs.

Thanks.

Offline drtracer58

Re: Considering buying a 1979 T/A, need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Something doesn't look right ......
79 WS6-W72

Offline Driver79

• 1985 Trans Am 5.0L
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
My dad and I had to pull an old 2nd gen Camaro out of the ground where it had sunken into. It was rotted away anyway but we hooked onto the the rear axle and pulled the car backwards. The undercarrage (sp.) was so rotted that it pulled the tires to the back of the wheel well.

Because of this, I'd be leary of any alignment issues. Maybe talk to the seller about having it inspected before purchasing it?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Can't tell by those pics?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....