Author Topic: And so it begins........  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Jonny Rotten

And so it begins........
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
I am finally starting what will probably be the slowest restoration ever. I have been lurking here for a while gathering info (You guys rule) So much information I just read threads for hours. I bought this car when I was 20, I built the motor, did the bodywork got it prepped for paint and then life stepped in. With the exception of a few sad stories, Its been rotting for 23 years. But in reading this forum I have found the encouragement to finally start.
I decided to make my avatar the Before picture. Kind of like how I found it! except I found it in my backyard.
Cool thing is it started with minor effort ( marvel mystery oil, new plugs, battery and some ether)
Though I can promise this will be a slow and arduous restoration thread, it seemed right to start my own thread. Since it seems like you all already have an investment into it, since Every decision I have made was based on your posts. I am also gonna have a lot more questions.
Thanks for all your help
Jon
This is a labor of love...and money!

Offline Jonny Rotten

Re: And so it begins........
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
The immediate problem was as simple as a blown rear, 17 Years ago I left the car at a shop to get painted, They never painted it, but they did steal the 373 rear-end, and replaced it with a piece of garbage with highway gears. After a year I had to steal my car back. Not long after I got it back I blew the rear.

Offline Jonny Rotten

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
For prosperity!

Offline Jonny Rotten

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
So I start at the rear

Offline Jonny Rotten

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
So far, got a new rear, posi with 342 richmond gears and disk brakes (might as well upgrade). After inspection I sandblasted the rear and painted it as well as other parts that I would have to re-use.
From your discussions I decided to use an AFCO 1" sway bar, minor upgrade from stock, Leaf springs and shackles from Classic Industries, And searched and found a new pair of the discontinued Edelbrock shocks. Replaced the bump stops, and I just had to get the polished alluminum gear cover. (ebay) 
New slotted rear disks, new calipers and all new brake lines from inline tube. I sent the driveshaft out to get new U joints and get rebalanced. Right now I am waiting for my new rear disk booster,  master cylinder, proportioning valve. e-brake cable and a replacement rear center rubber brakeline and of coarse the drive shaft.

Offline Jonny Rotten

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »
Started it up today, it Has a hole in the exhaust (saw that coming!) But other than that it still sounds mean. Its the original 403 with the original 4A heads. The motor was built by a machine shop about 5k miles ago (and 23 years) and I added the Edelbrock top end and Headers (don't remember what kind) Wish I had used ceramics!
I may be getting older now but i still cant wait to smoke the tires! Totally adolescent!

Offline Jonny Rotten

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »
A small set-back, the booster and Master Cylinder I ordered are out of stock. I ordered them from another distributor, wont get them till sometime next week.
I finished installing the new brake lines. (much easier when the front clip is removed) had to unbolt the lower front fender and inner fender well to get to the clip on the firewall. I installed the new parking brake cables. I couldn't remember how the brackets went. So I searched google for an image of the rear brakes. I found a thread on here from a year ago with a great picture. I wish I could give credit here but I forgot who posted it.
I Wish I had read this a week ago before I ordered the Dorman brake cables from NAPA, or installed the Calipers without Making sure their orientation was correct.
I have a question, are the rear parking brake brackets supposed to be that bent, I couldn't tell in the picture. Mine seem awfully bent (junkyard rear). I checked out Scarebirds brackets on ebay, they are very flat. I know I should probably just shell out the money but that means waiting till I have money and when that happens I won't have the time. Are these supposed to be relatively flat?