Author Topic: Why Won't My Rear Speaker Work?  (Read 541 times)

Offline 782:56gears

Why Won't My Rear Speaker Work?
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:44:12 AM »
Installing an in-dash Ken Harrison Unit, and I can't get the rear speaker to work. The front in-dash speaker works, and I've followed the wiring diagram - or at least think I did. The auxilliary input for the I-pod works on the front speaker also.

There are four different speaker power wires, and four different grounds. When I put a test light to them, they show power at both the power wire and the ground wire. The two wires to the in-dash speaker do also - and that is the speaker that works.

On the rear speaker, the  test light shows power to both power wire and ground, and even if I try a pair of other speakers I have, none of them will work even if the wires are reversed. I understand that stereo manufacturers have you return the ground to the head unit, as I am doing.

Getting a little frustrating, and the in-dash speaker that works isn't so crisp, but it does function. Any suggestions on how to make any of these rear speakers work?

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: Why Won't My Rear Speaker Work?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »
Everything being equal, if you've connected the + wire from your KH headunit to the + terminal on the correct rear speaker and then the - wire from the KH headunit to the - terminal on the correct rear speaker then you should get sound.

**This is provided that you don't have the front / back balance out of whack.

Since you have tried a different set of speakers that would lead me to believe that your rear channel in the head unit is shot.

IF you have a set of RCA outs on the head unit you may be able to hookup an automotive amp and then try using that to power your speakers to see if that even works.

**I also found this reference

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283888

Seems that the quality is so-so on these head units and you might be better off getting a refund and going with something else. I prefer Pioneer but have had JVC before along with Kenwood.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone