Author Topic: 81 trans am (new member)  (Read 6535 times)

Offline tonysstudio

81 trans am (new member)
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:44:35 PM »
Hello everyone, i am a new member (first post) i recently purchased an 81 non turbo trans am with the 301. I have linked my web site where i host my pictures. I was told it had a 301. Well, nothing fit right so i looked it up and it has a 400 motor! Heck yea! I am new to the american car world, i mostly work on hondas. After a few hours with this, I can never go back. My father has always wanted a trans am. I have purchased this car with the intention to restore it and give it to him for a retirement gift. He retires in 5 years, plenty of time to get it going and enjoy it a little. I have had so much fun working on this car. Details are on my web site page. Let me know what you think so far.

http://www.tonysauto.org/transam

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: 81 trans am (new member)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
looks like a good project and if you ever need any help or parts feel free to ask...as there are plenty of experienced "birdsmen" on this site...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:22:10 AM »
Looks good so far !!  Thats a really cool thing your doing for yor dad.  Is it going to be a surprise or does he know your redoing it?
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:57:08 AM »
Looks like a great project, welcome to the American Muscle world and also welcome to 78ta.com.  Let us know if you have any questions we'll certainly help out where we can.
Rich

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Nice to hear from the people who convert from Rice to Muscle.  I am sure your dad is going to love it.  Let us know how we can help you out.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:24:43 AM »
As was stated already, Welcome Tony. Also as was stated, (i hate being late) Post up if your in need of help or parts, thats what were here for.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline tonysstudio

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
My buddie has always wanted a Honda CRX so when he went out and bought a project, i swapped the engine and got it all done up nice for him. His dad was so thankful cuz he hates working on hondas. Good news is, a few months later i got the trans am. He came by, made a list of needed parts and GAVE me a ton of parts. distributer, shifter, knob, shaker hood, shaker, complete dash, carb, steering wheel and a ton of small parts. This was all just laying in his garage. He used to be a tow truck driver and got a 78 trans am a while back that was in bad body shape. He stripped it and sold the body to the scrap yard and kept all the parts. I got them all.

I have already run in to an issue and will post in trans am information. I guarantee it will make you scratch your head.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:27:29 PM »
wow, why can't I get that lucky!
Rich

Offline tonysstudio

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 03:44:41 PM »
He knows i bought a trans am but i told him i was getting older and hondas were getting boring. I needed a real car. He told me his dream car was a trans am, so i bought it. He is comming to look at it this week. He is in Cali and im in Washington.

Offline dblhh

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »
Welcome to the site. That's great you are going to restore the TA for your dad! Then you'll have the experience and know-how to restore your own TA in the future.
Herrel

77 T/A, W72, auto, black
77 T/A, Y82, W72, auto, project
79 T/A, auto, project
78 T/A, T-tops, WS6, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD
78 T/A, hardtop, 400, auto, Marty; SOLD

Offline tonysstudio

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »
YEP. I want to own a 79 and restore it. My dream car is pictured above by Gold78SPC. What i would not do for an after noon driving that on a nice day. Not hard, just relaxing in the sun!

Offline tonysstudio

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »
Well today was a great day!!!!!!!!!!!
We got out there and installed the water pump pulley. I was using the 301 pulley and needed the 400 pulley. That way i could drive the alternator. (i origionaly thought it was a 301 engine) ::). Got it in, got the correct distributer,belts and IT FIRED RIGHT UP! No issues at all. I got the water lines in, and filled it and topped all the fluids up and i have had it running for 2 hours today total. I have to get the drop down linkage working and a seat in it before i can driver her around but i got it out of the garage, in the street, turned around and pulled in again. Sounds great and no hickups at all. I have video, but have to add it to my web site before i can post a link. Will do so soon!

I cant even describe the feeling when she fired right up......few days and i will be driving her around town (mostly to the auto parts store only).

Offline tonysstudio