Author Topic: only 7 weeks away Saratoga Lawn Show. UPDATE 2-17-12  (Read 17530 times)

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
Re: only 44 weeks away Saratoga Lawn Show.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »
Just teasing ya Harry, but you missed a good party. Lol
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
Tony T is correct.  He and I have been in phone and e-mail discussions and banging ideas around.  Steve Manning is also helping with ideas.  I also tap on (Hammer) Mike Tyler for his ideas.  And for the record, I have been in recent phone and e-mail discussions with  Eddie Barra (Goldzilla).  Current plan is for Eddie B to return for the 10th Annual All Firebird Lawn Show and be a big part!  And Pete and Heather from Fbodywarehouse inform me that they plan to return for 2012!   :)

Sandy and I have visited the Speedway twice since the Firebird show to make arrangements for the All Car and Truck Show and the 10th Annual All Firebird Lawn Show.  Some changes are planned and info will be announced as finalized.

I just returned from spending the Labor Day weekend with my TX family up in the Adirondacks without cell phone, land line, or PC links, but I am now in Rutland VT on job assignment and avoiding washed out roads and bridges.

At this time, I am running at 150% between my paid job and organizing the 2nd Annual All Car and Truck Show as a benefit for Saratoga ARC / Saratoga Bridges - the premier resource for people with disabilities and their families.  The show is Saturday Sept 17, 2011 with Sunday rain date and the crunch day is fast approaching as Sandy and I are still dealing with trophies, t-shirts, goodie bags, sponsors, volunteers, promotion, etc.

You can see PIX from our 1st Annual show here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/578656169hDVevM
more show info here: http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=firebirdnationofnorthamerica/newsletter.html
or pre-register here: http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/firebirdnationofnorthamerica/PreReg.html

I have worked an agreement with the Autocross club again and they will also be running on the track for the Car and Truck Show.

Keep in mind this is becoming a little stressful and a huge undertaking for Sandy and myself but we do it not for any personal rewards but to support Special Olympics and ARC, and we thank you all for helping us support these two important not-for-profit causes that help those less fortunate than ourselves.

Thanks very much,

Tom and Sandy Smith in Saratoga Springs NY.

Just an old guy driving a young mans dream.
1970 Formula YS400, a matching #s Hard Top survivor in Arrest Me Red
1991 WS6 Trans Am Convertible, 1 of 555, gone but not forgotten.
1999 Formula WS6, 1 of 175 made

Offline JohnA.

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Just make sure whatever you do Tom Smith that those 100% angus beef cheeseburgers are back too!!!!

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »
John, thank you.  BTW, I had my family up from TX and we all enjoyed your VINO :)

Posted by: hdebo [/quote]
I will be there next year early and as John I will not have my car judged either unless modified class is broken up.
[/quote]

Harry, I welcome your ideas on how to further break up the classes.  Just keep in mind this is a fund raiser for Special Olympics and I have to stay within a certain budget since all money goes to Special Olympics, none goes to the club (Firebird Nation of North America) and Sandy and I take nothing.

Current class structure is as follows (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place trophies in stock and modified classes):
67-69 Stock
67-69 Modified
70-76 Stock
70-76 Modified
77-81 Stock
77-81 Modified
82-92 Stock
82-92 Modified
93-2002 Stock
93-2002 Modified

Jumbo Best of Show - Stock
Jumbo Best of Show - Modified

Large Best of the Best: 1 trophy with all previous year 1st place winners and Best of Show - Stock and Modified - winners in competition.

Plus Athlete Choice, Coach Choice, Dealer Choice, Speedway Choice, Joe Nolan Award, and Saratoga Polo Assoc Choice trophy

Plus Athlete Favorite 25 cars receive Special Olympics ribbons.

I may be able to increase total number of trophies if I reduce size of trophies to stay within budget.

I sincerely welcome your thoughts and ideas and I truly appreciate that you, Greg, and Phil come every year.  Firebird family supporting Special Olympics: Priceless!

Tom and Sandy Smith in Saratoga Springs NY

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:37:43 PM by Black_Bird_99 »

Offline Maryland Bandit

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »
I will say this. My car can't participate in 2012 since I won my class in 2011.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:27:07 PM by Maryland Bandit »
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »
Are you trying to take my job Tom.     JK.   ;D.        Tom,  you will need some serious help soon the way the show is growing, and hopefully ( I think it will happen) this yr we will have over 200 cars. Tony T and myself have been passing ideas back and forth. I hope to helpyou and yours take this show to the next level.
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:23 AM »
I am so honored to be the captain of this ship.  The 10th Anniversary All Firebird Lawn Show is coming up (44 weeks) and it will be very exciting for Firebird collectors, owners, fans, experts and Special Olympics athletes, coaches, and volunteers alike.  This may well turn into a 5 day event with details to follow!  Plus an All Star Lineup of Judges including Tom B (Maryland Bandit) (yes I gladly accept and I am excited to have you as a part of our all star  judging staff, we will talk soon my friend), Mike T (Hammer, part of the OH contingent), Russ S (can it get any better?), Pete and Heather D from TN, Eddie B from FL, Brett C from OH (can I get a little help here?), Brian C (I love NY) and more to be announced.  Plus many of the best Firebirds anywhere in the US.

Sandy has submitted our 2010 All Firebird Lawn Show story to the NFTAC Eagle and I have submitted our 2010 All Firebird Lawn Show story to HPP so the word will be out in the national publications

Thanks so much to Tony T, Mike T, Russ S, Tom B, Pete and Heather D, Eddie B, and our regular migratory Bird participants like Harry D, Greg, and Phil plus the entire CT and MA contingent.  With your help, Sandy and I can make this blow past 200!

It seems so funny, but nearly 10 years ago, as Special Olympics coaches on the executive committee, when Sandy and I pitched this idea to Saratoga Auto Museum and Special Olympics and wanted to launch a Firebird only show to benefit Special Olympics on the grounds of the museum, the Special Olympics Saratoga Area President said, "what makes you think that anyone will come to Tom and Sandy Car Show?"  Sandy looked back at the President and said, "You don't know my husband!"  I guess now they know and I have to thank you!

Tom and Sandy Smith in Saratoga Springs NY

Offline JohnA.

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 08:23:14 AM »
inbox me your address Mike and i`ll UPS you a couple bottles for you and leadfoot to have in the house for those outta the blue special occasions,UPS is at my job everyday so it would be no problem

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »
Only suggestion I would have Tom, and its minimal, would be to get some way to ID the people who need to go in/out of the gate so we don't have to explain it to the gate personnel. Perhaps a hand stamp saying you've already donated?

I had need to go in/out a few times and it got tiring repeating myself where a handstamp would have answered all the questions.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Black_Bird_99

Re: ID the people who need to go in/out of the gate
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
Brian, excellent idea.  I like it so much we will try it this month at the All Car and Truck Show at Albany Saratoga Speedway in just two weeks.  I have already ordered wristbands similar to those used at the Adirondack Nationals and we will 'band' all spectators through the gate.  If a participant needs to go out of the show, we will band them for easy re-entry.  I think it is an excellent idea and excellent addition to the show.  Like I said, we try it in two weeks at the All Car and Truck Show.  Based on response from participants and staff, we will probably implement it for the 10th Anniversary All Firebird Lawn Show.

Thanks Brian C.

Keep them ideas comin'

Tom & Sandy Smith in Saratoga Springs NY

Offline TRANSAM86

• goldzlla  :-)
Re: only 43 weeks away Saratoga Lawn Show.
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
IM LOCKED AND LOADED FOR 012. I moved to florida end of jan 011 and the one trip down and then the 2 round trips to ny  to get my trailer and car and bike and then to get my beloigings and back literally broke me so there was nothing in the budget for 011. Im so there for 012. I was so damn sad not making the 011 show as it is an honor that Ive been a part of it since day 1.  Ill be touching down on tuesday as it is a 1400 miles for me to saratoga from Hudson Florida. So im leaving 4 am monday morning. I got a New Truck and Trailer ( long story ) . Bigger trailer and yes i went with white :-) Ill have both awnings out and got my generator for lights and a/c. Also ill have my grill shop vac. and tools for anybody who needs anything. So noone should want from nothing. Well have an awesome parking lot party every night with the electric in my trailer. I cant wait im so damn excited to make the 012 show. I live for Toms show not so much I love him like a brother but it is a car show run by a car guy AND NO POLITICS!! I missed everybody so bad this year it killed me not making it. I got a few calls from ( the mayor B-RAD ) ( the gold man ) and ( da GREEK ) man did we laugh but deep inside I was dyeing and crying not being there. I LOOK SO FOREWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL IN 012 AND DAMMIT IT JUST CANT COME QUICK ENOUGH. Toms show is a show thats a must do and you all have so put his show on the map and yes its number 2 F body pontiac show in the world but im thinking soon ITS GONNA BE NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!!! MUCH LOVE TO MY BROTHER TOM AND SANDY AND MY F-BODY PONTIAC FAMILY FROM HUDSON FLORIDA :-)

Offline BlackGold 82

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 07:56:41 AM »
Ill be there.

Reading all these  posts.. makes me crazy

I need to get you people on teamspeak so we can talk about this stuff .  Typen with 4 fingers and a thumb ......ouch  i just sprained my only  pinky .   :)

Brad

Aka B_Rad  (Da Mayor)
Brad
AKA:Lefty, B_Rad,  or  DaMayor.
BlackGold 82

Offline TRANSAM86

• goldzlla  :-)
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 08:36:56 AM »
Mike hopefully well have one helluva 200+ turn out for 012 the 10th anniv bro. As I mentioned since its a 1400 mile trip 2800 RT im leaving 4 am Monday morning to get there by tues. Night clean my truck and trailer on wed and then await the arrival of my firebird family :-) B-RAD one day ill get my headset so I can do that teemspeak thing bro. Toms show gives me and im sure all of you a goal to work towards for the 012 season. I am excited to use my Trailer for what I designed it for and most of all SEEING ALL OF YOU AND MY BROTHER TOM AND THE MRS. SANDY!! Toms show is a bond for so many . I had an awesome thing at the nats for 12 + years and lost it AND NOW WITH TOMS SHOW ITS BACK AND BETTER because no politics and or preessures and all of you , See for me the cars is gorgeous and to die for and my love and passion!! But it is Tom Sandy and all of you THAT MAKES THE SHOW and also the cause we help support!! To me the funnest thing is hanging in the parking lot for many many hours at my trailer under the awnings eating drinking ( what ever ) the laughs and also helping others work on there cars weather is it mechanical or cleaning and well just the commaradarie ( spelling ) We have generated a bond and a family thanks to Tom and Sandy because of this show AND YES IT IS GOING TO GROW IN EPIC PROPORTIONS!!! My 86 has been doin well here in Fla. I did a show in Tampa last saturday the 3rd and to my suprise I went home with the best in show a 6 1/2 ft trophy :-) and now in Dec. I will compete against 11 others for a 10 foot award. What an honor it was and what a smile I got on my face and the feeling was overwhelming.  Living in Florida I miss certain things and being 2.15 from Tom and Saratoga was great but sadly im now 1400 miles and a 2000.00 trip when alls said and done but the thing here is? Ide only have say 4 weeks left of car season living in NY and not see my car till say may or my bike as well but here?? Hell its just starting to kick into high gear and I'll be doing car shows and riding for 12 months a year so it was a trade off and the depression in my house after loosing my mom who was ( my life ) and also the 44 years of memmories living in my house and the horrible NY weather I could not take it no more and going for broke to move to Fla. I had no finances to make the 011 show and GOD DID IT KILL ME. Toms show will only get better in the years to come for many reasons. Tom and Sandy created a monster here it it only will grow and grow!! Im sending much love from Florida to Tom Sandy and my firebird family and I emailed Tom and passed a few ideas by him . KEEP THE POSTS COMMING GOD DO I LOVE READING ALL OF THEM. Brother Eddie B

Offline S76GUY

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »
Brad
Mr Blackgold.
Welcome aboard you are going to love it here.
Russ, Mike and the others this is Brad from PA
With the 82 Black and Gold TA 441 on the rear spoiler
and 7.2 on the hood scoop.
He finally made it.

Just a note to everyone.
Please PM Russ if you plan to attend.
He will be modifying the 1st page of this post for me,
and creating a list of the people coming, he will be updating frequently.
So check back as often as you like.
Also if you are willing to volunteer please let him know at that time.
He will add you to that list also.
This way Tom Smith can see first hand what he has to work with
and where you will be needed.

Thanks
Tony T.

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
Do you mean Lefty?   lol   ;D  :D
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible