Author Topic: My Freedom II Battery project  (Read 12737 times)

Offline TA78

• Pioneer Valley Firebird Association
My Freedom II Battery project
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
Well, I figured if no one will make a reproduction Of the Delco Freedom  II battery, I'll just make one.  Started with buying Delco Freedom decals from a member, then found pictures of original Freedom II batteries, had decals made up locally and gave it a shot. After all my T/A is a clone so might as well have a clone battery.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:19:48 PM by TA78 »

Offline T/A Kid

Re: My Freedom II Battery project
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:16:30 PM »
Cool idea! looks like you did a good job.
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
Wow!

I worked in auto parts stores a lot back in the day... your cloned battery is kind of a trip down memory lane.

Very cool!
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline TA78

• Pioneer Valley Firebird Association
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »
Finished up my battery, made some improvements to the "Delco eye", much closer to the original now. Then put it where it belongs, in the T/A

Offline Jon S

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
Battery looks GREAT!  Can you provide pointers on how to make one or at least a "topper?"  I have the decals, just not sure what materials to build the cover, build up the 2 squares and what color blue paint to use.  Thanks!

Jon

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:28:58 AM »
I just put mine in today. I need to reposition the battery hold down then I can permanently attach the caps.

"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline RECARO.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »
Nice looking job on the battery, what battery model did you use for your project. I'd like to make one myself although it will probably not look as good as yours. Thanks

Offline Frankenbird

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:56:48 AM »
I love attention to details, looks really good!

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »
I make the caps, 99% correct. They are made on a CNC.  It has a 2 pc plexi eye that looks correct. They also have the vent on each side, I haven't seen any more correct than mine. I'll have a few at the natz.myself,  Bones, mongo, bentwheelbob, Jcarr, and a few others already have them on their cars. I'm taking orders for a second run.
I have my orig freedom battery that the caps were measured from. The caps should be up 1/2" from the edge. I have one set all painted with a can if blue paint for the battery for sale  at the tent at the Natz.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:01:48 AM by Burd Turd »
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline 78T/AKID

• W72, 4SPD, WS6 49K
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
Looks good !!!

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »
The superstart battery even has the little fins on the top, mongo found it at Oriellys. I also used an off white paint, white just is too white, the battery's are opaque white.  Looks good though, I like the missing detail we've been looking for.  I did get a few Pm's, I need to do another run this winter. 

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
Here are the two I did with Burds caps. The Freedom is for Bones 50th  and the Freedom II is for my car

Mine installed

"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline RallyMike

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 11:56:13 PM »
I am trying to send TA78 a pm but the screen keeps going blank.
I would like to know if you can make me one of your awesome battery's or can you sell me a kit with the paint??
Could you contact me @  msinchek@cinci.rr.com or call 513-638-6480 It's going in a 1980 Rally Sport Camaro that is an all original garage kept 61,000 mile car. The only thing it is missing is the Delco Freedom battery!
Thank You

Offline RallyMike

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 12:34:55 AM »
The superstart battery even has the little fins on the top, mongo found it at Oriellys. I also used an off white paint, white just is too white, the battery's are opaque white.  Looks good though, I like the missing detail we've been looking for.  I did get a few Pm's, I need to do another run this winter.

I just figured out that Burd Turd is the one ho make sthese battery's. tried to send him a pm again screen went blank.
I would like to know if you can make me one of your awesome battery's or can you sell me a kit with the paint??
Could you contact me @  msinchek@cinci.rr.com or call 513-638-6480 It's going in a 1980 Rally Sport Camaro that is an all original garage kept 61,000 mile car. The only thing it is missing is the Delco Freedom battery!
Thank You

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »
Yes, it's me. I make the Bastards.   I'll post pis later.  They are the s h I t.